Question PC freezes on BIOS splash after new HDD installation

dinosgomoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2015
Hey all, I've recently tried to install a WD white label drive into my home server. After installing the drive though, I am unable to get past the BIOS splash screen - my keyboard won't seem to work either in this state so I can't access the boot or setup menus. However, if I boot with the drive unplugged and then plug the drive in after booting, then the drive is detected and functions normally. My situation is almost identical to this thread - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bios-hangs-after-replacing-hdd.3692167/ - except that I'm not using a cloned boot drive, but unfortunately that thread seems unresolved.

For reference, I have a Gigabyte AB350N-gaming motherboard running BIOS version F31, the hard drive is a shucked WD elements white label WD120EDAZ, and I'm running Fedora 33.
Would be happy to provide any more information as needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: Also forgot to mention that I do have the OS-containing drive first in boot priority

Last edited:

dinosgomoo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2015
check to see if the new hard drive bios is up to date may be a bios bug.
Hey, thanks for the reply - I updated to BIOS version F50e and this seems to have solved the problem. If anyone's running Fedora and trying to do this, the EC FW Update Tool that is required when updating is only provided in exe format so you have to boot and run it on a Windows partition before you can flash the actual update in the BIOS setup.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS