[SOLVED] PC freezes on boot logo/BIOS

Mar 2, 2020
Anyone free here who could help me perhaps?

Specs:
AMD FX 8350
SSD 240gb crucial
GPU gtx 970
VS650 power supply
Corsair h50i cooler
8gb ddr3 ram 2 sticks
Asus m5a97 LE R2.0 motherboard

Issue:
Sometimes, The PC has fans spinning but no signal to monitor,
sometimes pc has fans spinning gets to Asus boot logo, then freezes,
sometimes I can get into bios, but when I enter advanced bios mode it freezes.
Once freeze occurs all fans and indicator leds continue running as normal

what I tried:
Different cooler (stock amd cooler)
removing one ram stick alternatingly, in all 4 motherboard rams slots
removing ssd connected to psu/mobo
removing motherboard battery for a couple hours, putting it back in and rebooting
(Clearing CMOS)
replacing motherboard with new lithium cell battery
Removing gpu power from PSU (only running off of PCIE power)
reconnecting all motherboard and cpu cable
resetting bios to optimized defaults
Underclocking cpu bus and pci frequencies in bios
Disabling amd turbo boost in bios
Cpu has no bent pins, running at 41*C
None of these seem to improve/deteriorate or have any noticeable impact on the issue.

Seems to be a motherboard issue because a similar thing happened before but it got fixed by underclocking cpu bus and pci frequencies.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/601851728479911956/683730599508443138/image0.jpg (bios image moments before it froze)

what would u guys advise I should do? pls help, I'm pretty desperate, have to get school reports done and neural networks to run (comp sci major). Short on cash atm but I could buy a new motherboard or PSU if needed.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is that PSU? That board should not be populated by that processor.

underclocking cpu bus and pci frequencies.
You might want to share the underclocking numbers with us as it's not advised to underclock the PCIe Frequency below 100. CPU undervolting or underclocking, is a good tactic but it does not divert from the fact that the board is ill equipped for a processor like that.

Latest BIOS update for your motherboard? See if you can source a reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor and try and get into BIOS and see if you can remain there indefensibly without a freeze.

Lutfij

Titan

You might want to share the underclocking numbers with us as it's not advised to underclock the PCIe Frequency below 100. CPU undervolting or underclocking, is a good tactic but it does not divert from the fact that the board is ill equipped for a processor like that.

Latest BIOS update for your motherboard? See if you can source a reliably built PSU from a friend or neighbor and try and get into BIOS and see if you can remain there indefensibly without a freeze.

Solution
Mar 2, 2020

Thank you for the warm welcome 😄

PCI frequency is 100
CPU bus frequency I can't remember exactly but it was 150 I think. I am sorry, can't boot into Bios too often, will tell u what cpu bus frequency was exactly once I can.

I will try to change PSU and check.

Whole computer other than a few drives is around 4.5 to 5 years old.

I don't understand though. https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/ supports AMD FX8350 CPU.

Thanks for all the help 😄