Question PC freezes once a day, usually when starting a game

gunpuppy

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Heyo,

My computer freezes every day, usually around 10 to 20 minutes after first startup. The screen and sound completely freeze and I cannot move my cursor or open Task Manager, the pc eventually restarts itself. This occurs faster when I start up any game but it has also happened when I'm simply browsing the web or during a meeting on Teams. After the first restart, my pc runs fine for the rest of the day.
I have now formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 (UEFI way) on my pc because I initially thought it was a driver problem.
To give you some background story, I used to have a GTX 1070Ti in my pc but it started acting strangely; really low fps in games and sudden crashes while watching Netflix. I took this card out and temporarily replaced it with the card I'm currently using, a GTX 760. Since I've been using this card I have had these once-a-day crashes, before that I had never experienced this before.
I have checked my drives through HDTune and both are healthy. I have also ran my setup with only my main drive in for a while which made no difference.

For a while just after I had reinstalled Windows, I had very few programs installed on it. I launched WoW on the mostly clean setup and there were no crashes that day. The following day I had installed some other basic software, including Citrix. I read some thread where someone said the Citrix display adapter could be causing problems, I immediately uninstalled it to test if the problem would go away but to no avail.

Yesterday I also had something happen worth mentioning. I was in a Discord server where video call was being used by 4 people, including me. I had no games running but was watching Twitch and Youtube on Edge (Chromium based). Suddenly frames began to drop, my cursor moved around the screen very slowly and my friends' video call and the videos playing on Edge were all stuttering. It's almost like the graphics card was about to hard crash again but it didn't. The system kept running and everything went back to normal after about 10 seconds. This time I was able to hear them fine. This has happened before in a Teams call but that time my pc did crash after about a minute of frozen screen.

I have no clue what to do. I am running a fresh install of Windows with the minimum amount of software installed. Is the card unable to keep up with my two 1440p monitors? I wouldn't know how to check the PSU but should I replace a cable? IS UEFI the problem? My GTX 760 used to run fine on my old setup but now that it's in here it's just been causing me trouble. Is it even the GPU that is causing the crashes? I don't want these daily crashes to cause harm to the rest of my components. I inserted a link to my Google Drive at the bottom of the thread containing event logs from the crashes, a DxDiag file and HWMonitor file.

It would be very much appreciated to get some help on this one!

Current specs:
Intel i7 9700K
Corsair 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
NVIDIA GTX 760
Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010
Corsair HX1200 V2

No overclocking has been done to this computer and I built it myself.
Link to Google Drive

check the temperature of your CPU while under load

the XMP profile is not set for the RAM, it´s only @2133MHz

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

check the hard drives for errors with its manufacturer´s tool (Samsung Magician and seatools)

update the BIOS of the motherboard

gunpuppy

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
check the temperature of your CPU while under load

the XMP profile is not set for the RAM, it´s only @2133MHz

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

check the hard drives for errors with its manufacturer´s tool (Samsung Magician and seatools)

update the BIOS of the motherboard

Alright I performed all tests said above. I somehow couldn't get the tool from memtest.org to use so I used memtest86 instead. I performed the memory test after updating my BIOS and turning on XMP.
I posted all the images and results on my Google Drive. I also updated the firmware for the SSD since Samsung Magician told me there was one available.
I have performed quick diagnostic scans on both drives and they show healthy. I am now performing the full scans. I will post the results tomorrow.

I will have to wait till tomorrow morning to see if my pc will crash on its first use of the day.
Thank you for helping me so far... I'll keep you posted.

gunpuppy

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Started up my pc at 11:40 something, went on Discord, watched some Youtube videos. After 15 minutes I launched WoW and just as it finished logging into my character my pc froze and rebooted.

I've uploaded the full logs to my Google Drive again (put everything into folders to get a better overview).
I performed a full scan on both my drives and they're both healthy.
I also replaced the PCIe cable from my PSU to my graphics card last night, just to rule that out.
Had a new driver update for my graphics card that I also installed last night. Now running driver version 456.38

Last edited:

gunpuppy

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
UPDATE:
I have replaced the GTX 760 with a Radeon R9 285 and my computer has been running fine for a few hours now. My pc has not frozen or restarted as of yet and I have been playing games on it fine.

Now I have put the GTX 760 in an older system to check if it runs into any freezing or errors but it has also been running fine on there.
So now I'm wondering what it is that makes the graphics card crash on my current, newer pc.

The old pc contains:
Intel i7 2600
4x4GB @1333MHz
Acer Predator G3610 motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 760
SSD 64GB LiteOn LCT-64M3S
450 watt PSU LiteOn PS-6451-5

gunpuppy

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Is there anyone that can still help me on finding out or solving why the GTX 760 crashes once at the beginning of the day?
Why is the R9 285 able to work fine on my system but the GTX 760 is not?

The reason I prefer the GTX 760 over the R9 285 is because the 760 is able to keep up with displaying multiple media programs (Discord, WoW and browser) all at once on two 1440p monitors (limited to 100hz on main and 75hz on the other) without chopping while the R9 285 (limited to 100hz on main and 60hz on the other) is not.