PC Freezes please help

Nov 11, 2018
Hello,
until very recently my pc has started freezing and i have no idea why! My PC used to run really smooth and flawlessly but then one day it started freezing and started affecting my games too.
I have no malware. I checked my cpu drivers and others that i could but all were up to date! my CPU heat does go up to 98 degrees sometimes but my fans are doing okay too! I don't even have many apps open all the time and i shut down my PC every night! PLEASE help me. I cant even run a playback video without freezes anymore! im really upset and frustrated.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1072MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151)
Graphics
E2360 (1920x1080@60Hz)
LED MONITOR (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (ZOTAC International)
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SATA (SSD))
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER166 (SATA )
7GB Multi Flash Reader USB Device (USB )

Solution
The issue is the 98 degrees C temps...I would definitely look at your cooling solution and re-install with new Thermal paste...I assume the airflow is good as you mentioned everything on the fans is good and clean of dust......
The issue is the 98 degrees C temps...I would definitely look at your cooling solution and re-install with new Thermal paste...I assume the airflow is good as you mentioned everything on the fans is good and clean of dust......

Solution
Nov 11, 2018

Thank you! ill look into that. but where am i supposed to apply the paste? the last time i took out my cpu fan and there was some thermal paste between the fan and the case i believe. maybe i ripped it out. then again my pc was freezing before i did that!

No problems at all. You apply the thermal paste on the CPU lid and then attach the cooler on top. Below is a Youtube video showing you exactly what to do....Any decent thermal paste will do. something like Arctic MX-4 which is both good and cheap....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM

Cooling is critical and can make a big difference especially with a CPU like the 6700K which overclocks very easily. So if you have a good CPU cooler, it will make a difference. For best cost to performance, something like the old reliable COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO is both great at cooling and cost effective....

But for the time being, just change the Thermal Paste and re-apply the CPU cooler...

Nov 11, 2018

Thank you soooomuch!!