PC freezes randomly for no reason

Dean Lennox

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
hi

i am new to this forum

i would like some assistance on my pc

i bought a new MSI 970A-G46 mobo and a amd fx-6300 cpu
i also have 8 gig ram, 500gb hdd and a cm 460watt powersupply and asus 630 2 gig ddr 3 128bit gpu.

i play games or watch movies and at random times the pc will just freeze and make a distort sound and the image will still work the movie will play on but i cant use my mouse or keyboard it will move very slow like a lag.

i did a ram check and hdd check and nothing was found. is there anything else i can check or replace?

im not that good in computers but know the basics

thanx

Dean

Solution
It isn't the CPU that's overheating, it is components on the motherboard that may be overheating. Are its VRM heatsinks hot to the touch? If so, make sure you have good airflow through your case.
PSU wattage is much less important than PSU quality. Seasonic does not know how to make a bad PSU, so any they make (e.g. their own, XFX, some Antec) would be safe. Your current system would run fine on a 300W PSU. If you bought a moderate to high-end graphics card like a HD7870 / R9 270X / GTX760 you would be fine with a 500W-550W PSU.
Since the machine is not totally locked up, my first guess is that you might have sound driver problems.
Next on the list, your motherboard appears on https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgN1D79Joo7tdE9xMUFlMEVWeFhuckJEVF9aMmtpUFE&gid=0 as having weak VRMs that are not suitable for overclocking. Even at stock, if your motherboard isn't getting enough airflow over it to cool those VRMs, it may be overheating and throttling.
Finally, although it actually has protection circuits, your CM PSU is overrated, only good for 430W. It is not this company's worst, but keep this in mind if you think of upgrading later. Your current rig probably doesn't pull 200W out of it.

Dean Lennox

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
thanx. i want to buy a other psu what will you say is a good wattage to go? o and i dont use overclocking. maby get a better cpu cooler? any idea where i can get better sound drivers i have realtek HD manager that i got with the mobo

It isn't the CPU that's overheating, it is components on the motherboard that may be overheating. Are its VRM heatsinks hot to the touch? If so, make sure you have good airflow through your case.
PSU wattage is much less important than PSU quality. Seasonic does not know how to make a bad PSU, so any they make (e.g. their own, XFX, some Antec) would be safe. Your current system would run fine on a 300W PSU. If you bought a moderate to high-end graphics card like a HD7870 / R9 270X / GTX760 you would be fine with a 500W-550W PSU.

Solution