Question PC Freezes Randomly When Clicking with my Mouse

May 24, 2021
I had recently bought a pre-built PC. It has high-end specs, but I obtained this computer for my office setting and have only used it for very basic processes. I have noticed that almost daily, I will be in the middle of working, have probably 25ish tabs open between my three monitors, and when I go to left/right click on something with my mouse, usually closing an open tab, it will sometimes freeze my entire PC, which ends up rebooting it. If music is playing, which is frequently, my speakers will bug out and play a loud noise depending on the last note, until my computer crashes. Sometimes, on my 3 monitor set-up, one of the monitors will turn black/white or blacken parts of the window. Usually causing one monitor to turn off, then the others to follow.

It only happens when I left click my mouse, it has happened while clicking play on a song, submitting a purchase order in QuickBooks and even clicking accept on a teams call. It seems to have something to do with Windows making a request to do something. I have updated my entire PC with Windows I, then going to updates. I have updated my graphics card for my Nvidia 3070. I have even downloaded the AVG Tune Up application to fix broken registry files which it said there were 280 of originally. The computer runs excellently, just the crashing issue.

Maybe a little extra help for solving the issue:

The only time the computer had not actually entered a reboot phase, was this last Friday. I had been transferring 8k documents from an old dropbox account to a new one. It said there was a 2 day ETA until the process was finished, and after a few hours while continuing to work, I closed out of a tab in Google Chrome and the computer froze, the song stopped on a note which caused my speakers to repeat the note, then my middle monitor turned black/white, my right monitor blacked out, my left one followed, then all three monitors came back, the windows beep sound came up, and then my computer continued to run as normal. I left the computer on over the weekend to finish the transfer and then it worked until the crash occurred around my lunch.

I can say that the computer has yet to actually crash with my clicking on an area to type, it only seems to freeze when I actually attempt to submit a process such as opening the right-click menu, closing a tab, double clicking on an app to open it. I am not saying it won't freeze during those instances, but my current experience is as listed.

Also I will state I have noticed a few times recently, I will go to close a tab or right click, and for what most would say instantaneously, I would say my computer would freeze for .2 seconds (an extremely slight delay) and then I would hear the windows chime sound, then it would continue the process as normal. As if the glitch was trying to happen, but maybe something bugs out in windows and prevents it from crashing my PC and instead gives me a windows chime. This had happen over the last weekend when the computer tried to crash but came back. I started hearing that chime happen 2-3 times that day.

My specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor.
GPU: 3070 Nvidia GeForce RTX
RAM: 16 GB
Motherboard: ASRock 450M

I don't know if there is an application which could track my crash reports or if there is a way to find that.

Correction:

I found the windows reliability report:

I found that it said Hardware Error x 5 within 1 minute of each other.

This is the information it gave me for one of them:
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffe00554540010
Parameter 2: fffff8062c9f6f64
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 3bc
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information: 30309920-b26a-44e2-9c9e-0013aa43fd86

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The chime sound: do you hear that same sound when you plug in or unplug USB devices?

If the PC freezes on mouse clicks and Windows (Reliability History? ) is reporting hardware problems I would suspect a short somewhere.

Make and model mouse - wired?

If wired mouse then try other host USB ports.

Try the mouse on another known working computer.

Try another known working mouse on your computer.

Determine if the freezes follow the mouse or stay with your computer.

= = = =

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition (new, refurbished, used...)?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

What other devices are plugged into the computer?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for more error/freeze information. Right clicking individual entries will provide more detailed information. The details may or may not be helpful.

May 24, 2021
I do not hear the chime sound when I plug in and unplug the mouse. The typical windows sound for it reading the mouse.

The only hardware problem it showed at all, seems to have came from the time my computer crashed and came back. Digging deeper into that, seems to have revealed a GPU problem. I uninstalled, restarted, and reinstalled my Nvidia driver. It was the end of the day yesterday and nothing has went wrong yet.

The mouse is wired. It's a Skytech M-1000 which came for free with the PC.

I will give it a go to try it on my home computer later.

The PSU is 650W. It's a month old. I am unsure on the Make/Model.. This is the link to the PC:

https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Azur...08M7R85VV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

For USB.. I have my keyboard, speakers, a Blue Yeti mic, and a webcam plugged into the PC for USB. I have 3 Monitors plugged in, 2 via Display and 1 via HDMI.

The Disk Drive is a 1TB Solid State Drive which has 815 GB free.

I checked the Event Viewer and saw that it shows 7 total Kernel-Power Event 41 Critical Errors. But those seem to be related to the computer shutting down unexpectedly rather than what is causing it. Maybe I am wrong?

I am hoping the GPU driver install turned out to be the problem..