Question PC freezes randomly without BSoD

Feb 19, 2019
Hello,

My PC started randomly freezing without Blue Screen.

I believe it's started in August: some day when I started a game (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) it didn't start. I was wondering what happened (I went to the another room thinking that game will load in that time, so I couldn't see what's on screen sadly) and there was an error in Event Viewer mentioning hardware error. After I tried starting a game again, it was completely fine, I was able to play so I thought it's nothing.

Next day when I tried play an another game, after ~15 minutes of playing, my PC completely froze with buzzing sound, like BSoD was coming, but it didn't. After hard reset (it was the only thing I could do) I was able to play the game without any errors. It repeats in another day - playing for ~15 minutes, freeze, hard reset, playing without errors. I thought it's faulty game, because when I tried playing same game but with lower settings, it was fine. However, it happened again when playing game #3, and again - same scenario.

Then was suspecting GPU or PSU, so I downloaded FurMark and tested my GPU for 20 minutes. Max temp was 76*C if I recall correctly and it finished the test without any errors or artifacts. Then I downloaded HWiNFO to check voltages but they were normal. I also changed DWORD TdrDelay in registry to 10 seconds.

Since then I wasn't playing and there weren't any freezes or something. 3 weeks ago I tried playing a game again and I was happy, because for 3 days of playing there weren't any freezes. I thought PC repairs itself somehow, however 2 weeks ago I left my PC with game turned on for a while. After I returned, on screen was something like that: https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/1006137040. After hard reset I was able to play a game normally.

I found strange that PC was completely usable after restart so I tried turning off fast startup. I thought it's a solution, because I was able to play without freezes longer than 15 minutes (in fact I was playing 5 hours), but some time after I finished playing, when browsing a web casually my screen went black and after moment picture on screen returned. I looked at Event Viewer and there is "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". I also increased a virtual RAM to 1.5x16GB min and 4x16GB max besides of turning off fast startup. So I was suspecting GPU again. I clean installed latest GPU drivers (deleted old one first with DDU).

This Tuesday my PC started freezing not when playing games, it froze during a call via Discord (in fact I just finished a call and disconnecting a Bluetooth headset from PC). Fast startup was still disabled and virtual RAM was increased then, so I figured out that's not a solution. After looking in Event Viewer I noticed that Runtime Broker crashed in the same time, when I got a freeze. Today it happened again, this time I was just browsing a internet.

Right now I'm suspecting GPU, PSU, RAM and motherboard. Why RAM? In February I was getting a lot of BSoDs and program crashes (similar to the Runtime Broker crash from Tuesday), which stopped after I replaced the RAM. Why motherboard? Because after getting a new RAM kit I immediately tested it with memtest and there weren't any errors. I'm going to memtest RAM again, check all connections and try using integrated Intel GPU this weekend. Any ideas what I can do more to find a culprit?

My specs (Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/78eIGWR8Q7WzaX1Uno7UJTt):
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K - no overclock
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3, BIOS: F12
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16 GB (2x8GB), 3000MHz, CL15; XMP on to achieve 3000MHz
PSU: SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 550W
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB GDDR5
Windows 10 x64
Everything is 1 year old except RAM, which was RMAd in February.

Edit:
Just updated BIOS to latest version, checking if this gonna help.

Last edited:
Is your gpu directly connected to the motherboard? Had the same exact issue for like a month with my pc and it ended that was the pci-e riser between the gpu and the motherboard when i connected the gpu directly to the motherboard it stopped so i guess your problem if its not as my case its a gpu related probably. Somehow gpu lose signal or is something with the power.

Feb 19, 2019
So... has anyone an idea what I can do to check where's a problem? My PC froze again when idling. I'm checking right now drives and so far a SSD passed the test.

EDIT: Both drives passed the test

EDIT 2: Just finished a memtest, neither both sticks simultaneously nor one stick separately gave any errors.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019
I was using my integrated video card for a while and there aren't any freezes. Now I will try replace a GPU with another card which I borrowed to check that will be any freezes.