Question PC freezes randomly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IridescentCheese

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
This sometimes happen to my PC mostly while gaming but rarely on normal use, when it happens everything is frozen and when I try to press capslock on my keyboard, the capslock indicator doesn't illuminate. So I just hold the PC's power button and restart it and somehow it doesn't happen, its very random and I never really figured out the cause.

Then recently I decided to clean up my PC and I had to unplug the mobo's power cable so I can unplug and remove my GPU and clean the insides and the GPU. After that I just plugged everything back and when I turned it on, it did not boot. Luckily my mobo has an EZ DEBUG LED feature and the CPU, and DRAM led indicators are illuminating alternately. I encountered this many times and somehow it has something to do with my cooler somehow being screwed too tight or too loose, when I managed to screw the cooler properly it booted like charm.

I thought the issue is all over but when I play videogames (in this case Borderlands 2), at random times my PC will freeze again. I would hold the power button, boot it again and try to game but it freezes again. This time I didn't game and just use it for internet use and it didn't freeze. After a few days of not gaming, I tried to play Borderlands 2 again for the third time and I managed to play for about an hour before it froze again. At this point I thought gaming is not an option right now and I will just use it for internet, but later on, my PC froze again while browsing facebook. I held the power button as usual and restarted it, after a few minutes of internet browsing it froze again. I did the usual restarting but somehow this time its not freezing anymore but chances are it could happen again and I'd rather not use my PC with a looming risk of freezing. I have feeling that its my cooler that I may have precariously installed that is causing this but maybe its something else. Thanks in advance.
PC specs:

MOBO: MSI Z170A PC MATE
CPU: i5 6600k
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM: 8gb Hyperx Fury DDR4
COOLER: ID Cooling ICEKIMO 120w
SSD: 120gb L7 EVO
PSU: 500W Aerocool StrikeX 80plus Bronze

Last edited:
Oh no, the buzzing is from the audio speakers. When it freezes the audio is also frozen, but now the audio outputted a buzzing sound. The hardware itself isnt making any noise.

Although in the past like over 2 years ago, this freezing happened. But not as frequent as now, so I didnt care back then. Maybe my PSU is starting to decline?

But then there is also that part that I mentioned where my PC refused to boot, and my mobo's debug led lights showed problems in my CPU and RAM. Somehow screwing the cooler moderately tight fixed it, and it started booting properly. But that is also when the freezing became more frequent than ever.

Im most likely gonna replace both my PSU and cooler. Since both parts are not that too problematic and expensive to replace.
That sounds like a good starting point, that PSU needs to be replaced with something of better quality anyway. Maybe hold off on replacing the cooler and replace the PSU only first.