Question PC Freezes Randomly

Pranay Chhabra

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hello Everyone! Let me come straight to the point I have this PC for about 5 years now and starting november 2019 i am encountering this strange issue of my pc freezing randomly (usually more during gaming) My keyboard caps lock, num lock LEDs stop responding and i am forced to restart it manually. There are days where it doesn't freeze but other times it will freeze several times in a day. I have tried contacting multiple repair services but I am unable to recreate the freezes on my wish for them to diagnose the PC correctly. I play league and gta and have noticed that it freezes in league (every two matches) more than gta. At the moment of freeze if the Hard Disk LED was on it would stay ON and if it was off it would stay OFF. I am also using HDMI to DVI converter for my monitor/gpu. I don't get BSOD as well. When it freezes the screen just stucks there and if the audio is playing the sound also buzzes due to it being frozen (i assume), sometimes when I boot my PC i have to manually spin my CPU Fan it doesn't start automatically. These are my specs :

CPU : FX 8320E
GPU : ZOTAC 960 2 GB
MOBO : GA 970DS3P REV2
RAM : KINGSTON HYPERX 1866 MHZ x 2
HDD : WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE 1 TB
PSU : CORSAIR VS550
MONITOR : SAMSUNG B1930 (1366 X 768)

I have tried these fixes :
  1. Clean Installed Windows (did not work)
  2. Bought a new hard disk old one had bad sectors according to HDSentinel
  3. Tried disabling superfetch and some other services (Did not work so I turned them on again)
  4. Installed Fresh Graphics Driver after uninstalling old onesusing DDU.
  5. Updated BIOS to latest version.
  6. Checked the temps they were also fine.
  7. Ran windows memory diagnostic tool without errors.
  8. Ran userbench (everything was good except HDD it showed below average performance i dont know why as its brand new)
  9. Took apart all components and cleaned them all.
  10. Ran memtest64 (it froze so I took out one stick of RAM and ran it again WITHOUT ERRORS , i thought my one stick was faulty so I started a match of league with the other stick that I successfully ran memtest64 with and to my surprise there it was, a freeze again after 15 mins into the match)
  11. Disabled Antivirus and Tried other AVs too.
  12. Ran Unigine Benchmark without problems.
  13. Ran NZXT Cam hardware monitor (to check loads and temps) while gaming and didnt found anything (cpu,gpu,ram) overloaded or overheated when it froze
and some more that I dont remember.....

I am fascinated by the fact that GTA V a heavier game runs perfectly and freezes very less, but I am getting these freezes 10 times as much in lighter games like (TF2, Palaldins and League Of Legends). I m going through a rough phase and gaming is the only escape I have. I have contacted many repairmen but they seem to be clueless and only suggest me fixes I have already tried. Any help would be appreciated. English is not my first language so please don't mind any errors.

Here's the video file displaying what the freeze is like :
https://streamable.com/qe9f1w

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
^ If that is the orange/yellow label VS series PSU from earlier than 2015, then you will need to replace the unit with a more reliable unit(with more than 550W of power available to the entire system) in order to rule out the PSU.

Pranay Chhabra

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
^ If that is the orange/yellow label VS series PSU from earlier than 2015, then you will need to replace the unit with a more reliable unit(with more than 550W of power available to the entire system) in order to rule out the PSU.
thanks for the reply lutfij, is there any reliable way to test which component is failing rather than replacing them one by one because I dont want to spend money on outdated parts.