Question Pc freezes randomly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Hello,

For the last two weeks I've encountered a problem (its increased in frequency today) with my pc freezing randomly while doing anything. The cursor stops moving and I notice that the caps lock key doesn't light up/turn off when i press it. The screen also becomes unresponsive, but the pc is still running.

Also, it doesn't show a BSOD or crashing screen or anything and it keeps running. Ive tried to let it run for an hour, when I came back still the same screen frozen

Things I've done or could help whoever sees this:

I ran a Malwarebytes scan and found nothing
It freezes randomly, not from heavy tasks (i closed every background app and only opened file explorer and it still froze)
Thermals are good
No hardware changes
It works perfectly in safe mode

Also, I don't know if this is relevant but whenever i press restart on my pc, it restarts the PC itself but the screen, keyboard, and mouse are unresponsive. I need to press shutdown then open it up from the physical button. (Been a thing since i first built it but i was too lazy to troubleshoot since the pc worked fine when I hard restart)

Specs:
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M - Gaming 3
RAM: 16gb
1tb hdd
120gb ssd

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Test 8 [Random number sequence]

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_individual-test-descr.html

its your ram, I assume you tested 1 stick at a time. Is that same stick each time?

max error count you wanted was 0. Any errors are too many. 40 is way over.

you need to rma that ram as a fail on memtest is usually all you need as evidence.

you also had 1 fail of this test but 1 test fail is enough

Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern]

Hey, so i just replaced my RAM, got the G.Skill flare from the list you mentioned, and tested it on memtest, no errors. Even then, the pc still froze. What should I do now?

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
I literally am going insane I don't know what to do. After buying new ram (which i thought were the problem), the pc still <Mod Edit> froze. My next option was to naturally reinstall windows. I tried to do that, got a usb stick and created a bootable drive. When I boot into it, i get no reaction. My PC literally just shows the booting screen then turns off the monitor and peripheral while still running. Resetting the pc also didn't work for some annoying <Mod Edit> reason.

I got this message when I tried to install Windows and it didn't work:the installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during boot operation

I don't know if this is a hardware problem or a software one i actually don't know what's happening. If anyone could please help

Last edited by a moderator: