CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Hello,

For the last two weeks I've encountered a problem (its increased in frequency today) with my pc freezing randomly while doing anything. The cursor stops moving and I notice that the caps lock key doesn't light up/turn off when i press it. The screen also becomes unresponsive, but the pc is still running.

Also, it doesn't show a BSOD or crashing screen or anything and it keeps running. Ive tried to let it run for an hour, when I came back still the same screen frozen

Things I've done or could help whoever sees this:

I ran a Malwarebytes scan and found nothing
It freezes randomly, not from heavy tasks (i closed every background app and only opened file explorer and it still froze)
Thermals are good
No hardware changes
It works perfectly in safe mode

Also, I don't know if this is relevant but whenever i press restart on my pc, it restarts the PC itself but the screen, keyboard, and mouse are unresponsive. I need to press shutdown then open it up from the physical button. (Been a thing since i first built it but i was too lazy to troubleshoot since the pc worked fine when I hard restart)

Specs:
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M - Gaming 3
RAM: 16gb
1tb hdd
120gb ssd

May 14, 2020
I got this issue too, when i install last build 2004, but i roll back too 1909 everything is smooth now, i read and saw most of users that use Ryzen(i got 3600) encounter this.

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Update:

I am currently running windows in safe mode because I can't access it otherwise

I ran the sfc/scannow command on CMD and got this message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.1667]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

I'll try to find the log file and upload it.

I got this issue too, when i install last build 2004, but i roll back too 1909 everything is smooth now, i read and saw most of users that use Ryzen(i got 3600) encounter this.
as for that, i am already on version 1804...

Colif

Win 11 Master
op is on 17134, which is from 2018. So your idea of a clean install might fix it. Provided they update their installer via 2nd link here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

If sfc failed to fix everything, you can run this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

then re run SFC/scannow and it should fix the problems.

3600XT user here on 2004, what problems?

Last edited:

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
op is on 17134, which is from 2018. So your idea of a clean install might fix it. Provided they update their installer via 2nd link here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

If sfc failed to fix everything, you can run this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

then re run SFC/scannow and it should fix the problems.

3600XT user here on 2004, what problems?

The problem went away by itself after two days but now it has returned. I tried opening windows powershell but the pc freezes before it can continue the process.

I don't what to do now. I'd also like to reinstall Windows but I don't know if it is safe to do so as I'm afraid the pc would freeze mid install

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the logon screen, open the power menu in bottom right
while holding left shift key, click the restart button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

does it freeze in safe mode?

try to run those command again in safe mode.

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
It did freeze in safe mode, however i managed to finally have enough time to run the powershell command.
I got a line that said something along the following (don't remember the exact message)

Repair: true
Online: false
Restart: false

Ran sfc/scannow and said it found a few files but repaired them this time.

Update: pc still crashed after both these steps. I think a fresh install is the best option but I'm afraid that the crashes would cause and issue

Colif

Win 11 Master
generally the only thing that causes BSOD during a reinstall is memory so how about we test it first

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if it crashes in safe mode, there is a chance the cause isn't windows and something physical. Might be idea to check that first.

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Which BIOS are you on?
how old is the PC??
who made ssd? how full is it?

My pc is 2 years old
SSD is Kingston and is 100/120gb

Im not sure about the BIOS version but i have a gigabyte motherboard. I'll check the BIOS when I come back home

generally the only thing that causes BSOD during a reinstall is memory so how about we test it first

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if it crashes in safe mode, there is a chance the cause isn't windows and something physical. Might be idea to check that first.

I'll run memtest when I am back. Do you have any ideas as to which hardware could cause this problem?

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
UPDATE

Sorry it took so long I couldn't install memtest from the pc.

100gb used of an 120gb ssd? How much free space? its not going to be 20gb as well, formatting.

They get super slow once full.

try running this on ssd and test it out - https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/ssdmanager

I don't know what is cause of the problems, hence i suggest testing parts as it might be any of them.

I opened the SSD manager and everything was fine

Then I did the memtest and everything was not fine.. I ran 4 passes and this is the results I got

https://ibb.co/R92JNkr

https://ibb.co/Hrvvhws

https://ibb.co/dmQ8xYt

https://ibb.co/nz14wZ8

I don't really know what this means but I assume so I'd like your input.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Test 8 [Random number sequence]

This test writes a series of random numbers into memory. By resetting the seed for the random number the same sequence of number can be created for a reference. The initial pattern is checked and then complemented and checked again on the next pass. However, unlike the moving inversions test writing and checking can only be done in the forward direction.
https://www.memtest86.com/tech_individual-test-descr.html

its your ram, I assume you tested 1 stick at a time. Is that same stick each time?

max error count you wanted was 0. Any errors are too many. 40 is way over.

you need to rma that ram as a fail on memtest is usually all you need as evidence.

you also had 1 fail of this test but 1 test fail is enough

Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern]

This is a variation of the moving inversions algorithm that shifts the data pattern left one bit for each successive address. The starting bit position is shifted left for each pass. To use all possible data patterns 32 passes are required. This test is quite effective at detecting data sensitive errors but the execution time is long.

Last edited:

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
No, i tested both ram sticks together. If I'm going to change my ram I'll just change both at the same time. I'll probably run two more tests, one for each stick to see if one of them is working well to sell it but thanks for your input.

Now im thinking of an upgrade, would crucial ballistix be better or g skill ripjaws? Or an alternative at their price points?

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
I didn't realize such a list exists! Thanks a lot I'll keep it in mind.

However I am quite confused as to how it works. Does every ram module on the list work for my mobo or what?

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, its all been tested on your motherboard with your CPU, at the speeds listed.

search by the part numbers, copy them from here into google.

I had to figure out what family the Ryzen 5 1600 was part of as the motherboard website sorts them by CPU family. Its Summit ridge, i then clicked that link here - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-doc and came to the link above.

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
I see. I am still confused on which configuration is a 2x8? Im not sure what does density and # of ranks x devices mean exactly. Im guessing density is the size of the stick? Not sure tho

Edit: at 3200mhz im guessing the hyperx fury is the best option. But its an 8gb stick. I can normally buy 2, no?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
they perhaps give too much info

module supplier - obvious
Density = memory size of the stick
number of ranks x dram devices - this basically tells you how many memory chips per stick. 8gb sticks have less ranks than 16gb as there are half the amount of chips on the stick
module part number - search this in google to find website for ram stick and its actual name.
SS/DS = Single or double sided. 8gb sticks are ss, 16gb sticks are double sided. Once again, its to do with number of chips on a stick, naturally 16gb uses ds.
chip brand - who makes the memory chips on the ram sticks
Timings - this is the latency of the sticks that was tested with board.
native is the speed they run without XMP

you best buying a set of 2 x 8gb if you want two as they guaranteed to work together, 2 x 8gb invidiual sets aren't.

Last edited:

CyberBird

Honorable
Apr 24, 2017
Okay understood.

Update: i tested both sticks separately and found one to be working fine and the other was faulty so i decided to run the single stick until I upgrade. However when i ran windows with that stick, it still froze on startup. Im running the test again to double check but its weird

TRENDING THREADS