Question PC freezes randomly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2020
PC freezes randomly. I can move mouse and open task manager, but can’t interact with task manager or any applications that are open?

This started a few days ago when I was playing Genshin Impact. It just froze when I opened it. I reinstalled it and other games worked fine at the time so I overlooked it. Today however I was playing Osu! and it did the same thing once again, and I’ve been noticing that now it does it randomly regardless of what applications are open. Other weird stuff has happened too, like on wallpaper engine it acted like I opened it for the first time and gave me an introduction of how to use it, even though I’ve already used it for months. This also occurred with my wifi connection; it disconnected me on one of these numerous shut downs and turn ons and asks for the password even though I never disconnected myself.

Any audio loops back half a second forever. When I open the start menu and hit shut down or restart, it only closes one or two applications (like task manager) and doesn’t shut down. I can press it over and over again and nothing will happen. CtrlAltDlt works, but when I try to shut down or restart from there it permanently shows the windows 10 loading screen without shutting down, unless I manually hold the power button. Another thing of note is that any lighting effects on my keyboard and mouse freeze with the computer. Take manager “works” in the sense that I can choose filters, switch to the performance tab, etc, but all the percentages stay the same and even the performance graphs remain unchanged.

Overall this is a very frustrating problem. I know this isn’t a hardware problem since I built it a month ago and it’s been working fine until recently, although I do remember that this happened once in a while at times, but not enough for me to notice.
Specs: Ryzen 7 3800X
32 gb 3200mhz vengeance ram
Msi MPG X570 gaming edge wifi motherboard
asus gtx 1650 super oc edition
700w thermaltake silver psu

RustyBeefySmack

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
I've got exactly this problem aswell. I read up on some other issues with wallpaper engine and I think this might be a nvidia driver related issue. It seems like some people only experience WE crashing:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallpaperengine/comments/kjnl4g/wallpaper_engine_keeps_crashing_on_startup_says/

I've had both happen to me; the issue you are referring too and the one I've linked above. I'm pretty sure it will get fixed in a future NVIDIA driver update but if you really want to use WE in the meantime you can try and install an older more stable NVIDIA driver. The one that's causing these issues for me is driver version 460.89. I don't know exactly which driver you have installed right now? Most likely the same one as me.

Driver version 457.51 seems to be stable for WE according to the reddit post I linked but I haven't tested that out. My current solution is waiting on the next driver update and not using WE in the meantime. (If I still get these weird freezes even without WE I will give you an update)

Hope this helps a little bit.

EDIT: Driver issues can cause Windows to behave strange.
EDIT: It has now been some days and I haven't had my computer freezing again. So not using WE fixed it for me.

Last edited:

RustyBeefySmack

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
I've got exactly this problem aswell. I read up on some other issues with wallpaper engine and I think this might be a nvidia driver related issue. It seems like some people only experience WE crashing:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallpaperengine/comments/kjnl4g/wallpaper_engine_keeps_crashing_on_startup_says/

I've had both happen to me; the issue you are referring too and the one I've linked above. I'm pretty sure it will get fixed in a future NVIDIA driver update but if you really want to use WE in the meantime you can try and install an older more stable NVIDIA driver. The one that's causing these issues for me is driver version 460.89. I don't know exactly which driver you have installed right now? Most likely the same one as me.

Driver version 457.51 seems to be stable for WE according to the reddit post I linked but I haven't tested that out. My current solution is waiting on the next driver update and not using WE in the meantime. (If I still get these weird freezes even without WE I will give you an update)

Hope this helps a little bit.

EDIT: Driver issues can cause Windows to behave strange.
EDIT: It has now been some days and I haven't had my computer freezing again. So not using WE fixed it for me.
EDIT: So now about a week later I encountered the same freezes again, unfortunately I already installed the new 461 NVIDIA driver and that didn't fix it either. I might just re-install windows.

Mar 24, 2021
EDIT: So now about a week later I encountered the same freezes again, unfortunately I already installed the new 461 NVIDIA driver and that didn't fix it either. I might just re-install windows.
Hey, have you found a fix yet? I have been encountering a very similiar problem. PC started acting weird for like a 4th time in 2 weeks, I can open task manager but i doesnt refresh anything. I can also click on apps but it does donthing and task bar doesnt really respond. I also don't even use WallpaperEngine.

RustyBeefySmack

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Hey, have you found a fix yet? I have been encountering a very similiar problem. PC started acting weird for like a 4th time in 2 weeks, I can open task manager but i doesnt refresh anything. I can also click on apps but it does donthing and task bar doesnt really respond. I also don't even use WallpaperEngine.
There's two things up until now that I've seen people use as a fix.
1. If you're using NZXT CAM, you might want to try and uninstall it. For some people this is what caused these weird freezes.
2. Although it isn't a convenient fix, it did work for me... Freshly installing Windows 10 from scratch.

I think my freezes were caused by driver issues. I changed platform from Intel to AMD without freshly installing Windows 10. There were still old drivers present from the Intel Chipset which caused problems but I think these freezes can happen with other driver issues as well.
If your PC worked perfectly fine before, I think you might be good on the hardware part of things. If not, then you might want to keep hardware in mind as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.