Question PC freezes randomly

Nov 9, 2023
I think this issue started since I started having 2 monitors with Adaptive Sync activated in the first one. I'm still experimenting and testing in various contexts, but this is the most probable cause because I didn't have any problems with my old computer build (I will list the differences with my new build below).

Now let's talk about the problem:
It happens randomly, most of the times while I'm not playing any games. For example while I'm watching videos or using the browser.
While the computer is frozen I can still hear the audio but I can't use my keyboard, mouse, or microphone until I'm forced to shut down the PC through the power button on the computer case.

A few random cases when it happened:
  1. I was streaming a video on my browser through Discord
  2. Playing LoL (League of Legends) and I alt-tabbed (with my browser open)
  3. Opening the file explorer to send an image on Discord
  4. Turning on my computer from sleep
I tried a lot of things (that didn't work):
  • Changing my GPU (Nvidia 2070 Super -> 3070 -> 4070)
  • Changing my PSU
  • Changing my RAM
  • Checking errors in Event Viewer without any result (the only error that I think is connected to this problem is by the GPU causing a WATCHDOG_EXCEPTION BSOD that I think it's not the cause but the GPU crashing if it stays in that state for too long without forcing the computer to turn off)
  • Tried MemTest on the RAM
  • Updated a lot of drivers (Monitor, chipset, BIOS)
  • Turned off useless audio outputs (Nvidia audio on the monitors)
  • Changing my hardware by unplugging and changing some PSU connectors
  • Full formatting with clean OS install
  • Connecting the PSU plug directly in the outlet
  • Buying a new monitor G-Sync compatible because at first I thought the problem was running a monitor with AMD Freesync with a Nvidia graphic card (yeah the problem happened with AMD Freesync too)
My current build:
CPU: Intel i9 9900k 3.60GHz
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x53
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING (BIOS version: 3006)
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 32 GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 | Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB NVMe M.2 | 2x 1 TB HDD (I don't remember the specifics about the manufacter)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 16GB
PSU: Corsair Rm850X 80 Plus Gold
Chassis: NZXT H510i
Monitor: Samsung Gaming Odyssey G5 (S27AG502) | Samsung Gaming Odyssey G5 (C27G53)

My old build (when everything worked fine):
CPU: Intel i9 9900k 3.60GHz
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x53
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING
RAM: HyperX Predator HX440C19PB3AK2/16
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 | Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB NVMe M.2 | 2x 1 TB HDD (I don't remember the specifics about the manufacter)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair VS550
Chassis: NZXT H510i
Monitor: Very old Full HD HP monitor (I don't remember the specifics)

Last edited:
1) How quickly did it start happening again after the clean OS install?
2) Have you tested by disabling Adaptive Sync in the monitor it was enabled on? It's not likely the monitor(s) are going to cause an issue like this. You've updated your GPU so that would compensate typically.
3) Have you tried running your PC with just the OS drive installed/hooked up and tried to re-create the issue? What occurred?
4) It seems to be occurring when you perform basic menial tasks in Windows which typically would point to a software issue coming from somewhere. Have you tried a Clean boot via msconfig (System Configuration) and tried to get the same thing to happen?

Reactions: Order 66
Nov 9, 2023
1) I think it happened the day after when I came back to start the computer while it was in sleep
2) I can try to disable it but for me it's kinda important with some games that don't work with high refresh rates monitors
3) Not yet but I don't know how to trigger it
4) Same here, I haven't tried it yet with no idea on how to replicate it

Nov 9, 2023
1) I think it happened the day after when I came back to start the computer while it was in sleep
2) I can try to disable it but for me it's kinda important with some games that don't work with high refresh rates monitors
3) Not yet but I don't know how to trigger it
4) Same here, I haven't tried it yet with no idea on how to replicate it
Ok, apparently the problem that caused the computer to not turn on from sleep was another thing that I fixed today. So after the clean OS install that particolar freeze hasn't happened yet.
I will wait for 1 week to see if it's gonna happen again and I'm gonna post an update here, otherwise the problem has been fixed.