[SOLVED] Pc freezes, screen flickers. Hardware detection sound plays.

Sep 6, 2019
Hi all.

My screen starts to flicker randomly. There isn't a pattern to it. Every time it does, the pc freezes. Sometimes it's a split second, sometimes 20 seconds. I can't move the mouse and the keyboard doesn't react either (e.g capslock won't turn on). Furthermore, every time it flickers, i hear the windows Hardware detection sound, as if you were to plug in and out a usb device.

First i thought it was a GPU issue, so i uninstalled the drivers with DDU and reinstalled them (different driver version). It didn't help. Also, at some point when i was tinkering around with driver and restarted the pc, my CPU was suddenly sitting at around 80% load while in standby/not doing anything. Everything felt slow-motion. Sound playback was stuttering. Every time i moved my mouse, the CPU jumped up to 100% load. Several restarts didn't help.

Only after i finished installing the drivers of the GPU, restarted a few times in Safe-Mode etc. at some point it went back to normal. I also tried to restore to a Restore Point where the issue wasn't present. I thought it might was a windows update or something similar, so i disabled them. Worked at first, but not long after it started again.

Yesterday i reseated the RAM (Switch slots, just in case), the GPU, changed the PCI-E Power cable (Modular PSU) and generally just cleaned the pc. It worked fine at first. Even played games for 2 hours. Left the pc running over night, and at some point it started doing it again.

I'm seriously at a loss here and any help would be appreciated. The next thing i will try is using the Intel onboard GPU, and see if that helps. My guess right now is either GPU or CPU (but really, how often do cpu's break?)

Specs:
Intel I5 4670K
Radeon R9 390
EVGA 850W Gold + PSU (i know, overkill. Was on sale)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You probably have to use the onboard GPU for weeks in order to rule out faulty GPU.

Just remember to uninstall the current GPU drvers first.

Also - you can always check if RAM is ok. You do that using Memtest86+.

TRENDING THREADS