Question Pc freezes shortly after boot. Only way out is the reset button. Once I reset its fine for the rest of the day. Only happens once a day.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Once a day, the first time I boot up my pc, once I start to do something like boot up a game or start a benchmark, or even sometimes when I open up google, It freezes completely, my keyboard stops, my mouse stops, nothing. The only way out is the reset button and once I reset it, everything works perfectly for the rest of the day. But I go to sleep and the next day it happens again. My pc specs are Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.80 GHz with 1.27 vcore. my ram is 3000 mhz team group Vulcan, the graphics card is a PowerColor red dragon Rx 580 8 Gb at stock speeds. 550 watt power supply and a gigabyte b450m Ds3h motherboard. I have tried using DDU to clean all drivers out and reinstall them because I thought it was the recent adrenalin 2019 drivers, that didn't help. I tested for CPU and memory stability with memtest and prime 95. I have no clue what to do from here. I suspect it has something to do with my ram but I ran the windows memory test and it didn't find anything wrong, I also ran memtest for about 20 minutes and it found no errors.
I am stuck and dont really know what I need to do to stop this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try turning fast startup off and see if it resolves the need for a restart - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

If it fixes it, the real reason is likely an old driver that doesn't like the power modes WIn 10 uses.

can you download a program called driverview - all it does is shows what drivers currently running on PC. Run it, and in its view tab, set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, as it makes list easier to live with. Take a screenshot and upload it to an image sharing website and show a link here. Anything older than June 2015 could be the reason its freezing

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Try turning fast startup off and see if it resolves the need for a restart - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

If it fixes it, the real reason is likely an old driver that doesn't like the power modes WIn 10 uses.

can you download a program called driverview - all it does is shows what drivers currently running on PC. Run it, and in its view tab, set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, as it makes list easier to live with. Take a screenshot and upload it to an image sharing website and show a link here. Anything older than June 2015 could be the reason its freezing
https://ibb.co/wM1bs4d here is a link to the drivers that it shows

Colif

Win 11 Master
28 items, only 5 have dates... that makes it hard

Scarlet Crush is the only one there I know can cause problems as its from 2014, haven't seen it cause restarts before but anything possible. Its the driver for PlayStation controllers
the 3 dump. files are part of windows so can be ignored.

Have you run the App Store utility, it updates the drivers for the board. its 4th down the list - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10#support-dl-utility

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019

Scarlet Crush is the only one there I know can cause problems as its from 2014, haven't seen it cause restarts before but anything possible. Its the driver for PlayStation controllers

Have you run the App Store utility, it updates the drivers for the board. its 4th down the list - https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10#support-dl-utility
I downloaded the utility but the only thing it is able to do is download a bunch of useless bloatware. I already had fast boot off, so I know that doesnt help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
OKay, i didn't know Fast startup was off, its unlikely to be a driver causing a freeze.

Did you run memtest on each stick individually? 20 minutes isn't really long enough. need to do 4 complete passes at very least, on each stick.
Is ram on motherboard list of ram modules?

What brand/model PSU is it?

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
OKay, i didn't know Fast startup was off, its unlikely to be a driver causing a freeze.

Did you run memtest on each stick individually? 20 minutes isn't really long enough. need to do 4 complete passes at very least, on each stick.

My ram is team group vulcan ddr4 3000 mhz, and its two sticks of 8 gb in dual channel. my psu is a corsair txm 550 watt gold rated. I will try running the memtest for a while and see if any errors show up.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I downloaded the utility but the only thing it is able to do is download a bunch of useless bloatware. I already had fast boot off, so I know that doesnt help.

I have also just learned that it is sk hynix dies, and the model name is teamgroup-ud4-3000. i also noticed that they are on the qvl list and compatible with my motherboard. I wonder if they arent seated properly. should I take them out and make sure they are in the correct channels?