Question PC freezes/shutsdown when bumping graphics card

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
When i was repositioning my GPU support my PC locked up prompting me to do some futher investigating. Whenever i bump GPU or move the Display Port cable with or without GPU support, the PC will lock up or restart with no display. It will 100% restart/freeze if i lift up the end of the GPU were it sags whilst running. I've re-seated the GPU and no problems until i installed the GPU support again and pc shutdown. The PC otherwise runs great and benchmark scores are fine. What could be causing this? a faulty PCI e slot?

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
When i was repositioning my GPU support my PC locked up prompting me to do some futher investigating. Whenever i bump GPU or move the Display Port cable with or without GPU support, the PC will lock up or restart with no display. It will 100% restart/freeze if i lift up the end of the GPU were it sags whilst running. I've re-seated the GPU and no problems until i installed the GPU support again and pc shutdown. The PC otherwise runs great and benchmark scores are fine. What could be causing this? a faulty PCI e slot?

Wait, your touching the insides of your PC while it's running? That's a bad practice. I know that's a silly question and people here know what we're doing but I don;t really like touching a powered on machine.

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Wait, your touching the insides of your PC while it's running? That's a bad practice. I know that's a silly question and people here know what we're doing but I don;t really like touching a powered on machine.

Just one finger on the outside plastic shroud on GPU to lift up a little while i slide in GPU support. Only done it once or twice to reposition support.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Just one finger on the outside plastic shroud on GPU to lift up a little while i slide in GPU support. Only done it once or twice to reposition support.

Well that's strange honestly, a PC can take a little bump or shock or movement anyways, assuming you're not moving it big time.. Did you check if anything is shorting out in the motherboard like stand offs or anything?

Let me see where this thread goes. Not really sure what it is but i'm looking into bad motherboard signs (like faulty slot as you've said).

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Well that's strange honestly, a PC can take a little bump or shock or movement anyways, assuming you're not moving it big time.. Did you check if anything is shorting out in the motherboard like stand offs or anything?

Let me see where this thread goes. Not really sure what it is but i'm looking into bad motherboard signs (like faulty slot as you've said).

I will check that out. Also i noticed that the PC is getting half the frame rate that i'm used to in games when i have the GPU support installed. remove gpu support and it goes away.

139 (ingame cap) without GPU support
60 fps with GPU support

Please list your computer specs so we understand what hardware you are using.

Gigabyte Gaming Aorus 7
Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080 TI stock
16g ddr4 g-skill trident @3000
i7 8700k stock
Corsair HX 750i

After you install the GPU, do you VISUALLY check to see that it is fully inserted into the PCIE slot?

If it is fully inserted, then I would say you have a faulty PCIE slot. You would need to use a different slot.

If it is not, then fully insert and see if that helps.

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
After you install the GPU, do you VISUALLY check to see that it is fully inserted into the PCIE slot?

If it is fully inserted, then I would say you have a faulty PCIE slot. You would need to use a different slot.

If it is not, then fully insert and see if that helps.

It is fully inserted. I was suspecting faulty PCIe slot also. I hope it isn't my GPU 😟

I don't understand how it can still work and seem like its running normally in hardware monitor and GPUz. How can a bad PCI slot cause lower FPS?
it can be 100% replicated. when supports installed i get -50% FPS in APEX legends.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
It is fully inserted. I was suspecting faulty PCIe slot also. I hope it isn't my GPU 😟

I don't understand how it can still work and seem like its running normally in hardware monitor and GPUz. How can a bad PCI slot cause lower FPS?
it can be 100% replicated. when supports installed i get -50% FPS in APEX legends.

Try using the other slot.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Now i cannot get the GPU to run at x16 in the same slot that i took that previous screenshot :(

Update. Reseated GPU and now back to normal function. So must of been dust or something in PCI-E slot perhaps. Or the slot is faulty. Thanks for the help.

View: https://imgur.com/a/CMgyT3w

Ok, as suspected. I'm not that good at PCIe problems but there's something wrong in there. I think this is the issue they said about detecting incorrect lane/speed something, let me confirm that. I'll leave this to knowledgeable people out here that has experience with this issue.

Obviously, it's supposed to be at x16 3.0 mode. Please stick your GPU on the top most slot for now and let's observe it for a while. Looks like there lies the problem. It should explain your FPS drop as your GPU will run at 1/4 speed of x16 if it is @ x4.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Ok you should check your BIOS and see if the x16 slot is set as first display (default). And also please change the setting to x16 3.0 from Auto if there's any. Clean your GPU and the connectors thoroughly including the slot, canned air will do the job.

And.. don't forget to set your energy options to "high performance" mode in the windows control panel.

NOTE: Silly question but I'm assuming that you are using the x16 slot bc it won't work if you put your GPU on the other slots.

Let me know what happens after that.

Last edited:

gamer666

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Ok you should check your BIOS and see if the x16 slot is set as first display (default). And also please change the setting to x16 3.0 from Auto if there's any. Clean your GPU and the connectors thoroughly including the slot, canned air will do the job.

And.. don't forget to set your energy options to "high performance" mode in the windows control panel.

NOTE: Silly question but I'm assuming that you are using the x16 slot bc it won't work if you put your GPU on the other slots.

Let me know what happens after that.

Hey mate sorry i forgot about this post i have been busy.

I am using the 16x slot because its faster and others are only 8x. . next time it happens ill check bios settings as suggested. although its weird that re-seating GPU works.
PC has been working great up till today where It happened again.

I accidentally bumped the desk hard and the pc reset. After booting up the bus interface was showing @16x 1.1 with render test.
ran a 3d mark and got 12266.
I re-seated the GPU and it didn't solve the issue.
Then i tried to blow in the PCI-E slot and put GPU back in and it worked again back up to @16x 3.0.
3d mark back up to 13092.

gonna hit it up with some canned air on the weekend and see how it goes.

The motherboard is still under warranty for another year, however i worry that if i RMA they wont find an issue as its so intermittent. and will get the same board back.

Update: I am not getting this issue in the second PCI-E slot so 100% faulty PCI-E slot.

Last edited: