[SOLVED] PC Freezes up when opening multiple internet tabs and switching between them all.

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
SYSTEM SPECS:

CPU - i5-4670k
Memory - 8GB Ram
Motherboard- MSI z87-g45
Case- Antec GX700
Power supply -NEX 750g / 80 gold plus
Graphics Card - powercolor7950
Cooler - water 2.0 pro
128GB SSD - Windows 7 installed on this.
2TB HDD

QUICK QUESTION! -- (It is 2 pronged)
Built my PC back in 2013, and its been going strong ever since!

Recently, my PC has started to lag / freeze for several seconds when trying to switch to different internet tabs that I have open (not every time but sometimes). It also happens when trying to drag/move the windows around on the screen and also when I click the X to close the window, there is some lag/freeze like the PC hesitates to do it, then it does it after a few seconds - quite delayed. It's been doing it randomly for about a week or so now, and wondering what could be causing this. Are the parts just finally showing their age after 7 years of daily use?

If that is the issue, looking at my build should I upgrade certain part/s to fix this issue or would you say all the parts so dated that I would be better off scrapping this build and building a new PC with all new parts?

I'm open to any suggestions, and willing to either upgrade this PC or build a new one. -- Money is not an obstacle, however if a simple upgrade would correct this issue, everything else is fine with the PC build I have currently.

P.S. just surfing the web with multiple tabs open, along with watching a youtube video my CPU is sitting at around 25-35% and my memory is sitting at right above 5GB steady.
There is NO lag when watching a video on youtube or netflix, or playing games. Only when opening/closing different windows ect.

I appreciate any suggestions / guidance, thanks guys!

Last edited:
Solution
Windows 10 would need to be an upgrade install to be free. So everything would be right where you left it, but technically it would be a fresh install.

Now after that point you could certainly back up data to your hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10, would just take a little more work to get the drivers you want and everything re-installed.

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Thats fine. I 'd suggest doing a clean install of Windows 10 as 7 is EOL now.

Clean install of windows 10 meaning i'd lose everything on my hard drives?

Sorry I'm not super super savvy with this stuff.

I have windows 7 installed on my SSD along with a few games

and almost everything else saved on my 1TB HDD

Im guessing a clean install of windows 10 would wipe my SSD and anything saved there, but my HDD would remain untouched and carry over - as I'd install the OS on the SSD. Is this correct?

Also, thank you for your help.

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
128 GB for the SSD is pretty small for Windows and whatever else. How full is it? What browser are you using? Is it installed on C?

Yes I agree but 7 years ago the SSD's were quite a bit more expensive then they are today haha!

Currently I have Windows and like 1 game ( League of legends) installed on my SSD - it is local disk C
I have 50 GB free on the SSD - besides windows and the game I didn't really throw anything else on the SSD. Everything else went on my HDD (2TB)

I have about 1TB used on my HDD - so still 1TB left to use.

I use mozilla firefox and google chrome .. use both randomly

It really depends...
  1. if you are telling the browser to keep tabs open when closing and this is the first time going to a tab since you opened the browser, it will take a while to load.
  2. If CPU usage is high and the system is still loading data from one tab when switching to another tab, it could take a few extra seconds for the system to switch direction
  3. 8 GB of RAM is the bare minimum for a modern system. if RAM usage gets really high, you might consider adding more RAM.
  4. Check your drive usage. Unless your page file is in heavy use, most systems will just touch an SSD during standard usage (web browsing, etc), If you notice the you are seeing extremely high usage of the SSD, I recommend a drive monitoring app from the company that made the drive (Samsung, OCZ, etc).

rambo244

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
It really depends...
  1. if you are telling the browser to keep tabs open when closing and this is the first time going to a tab since you opened the browser, it will take a while to load.
  2. If CPU usage is high and the system is still loading data from one tab when switching to another tab, it could take a few extra seconds for the system to switch direction
  3. 8 GB of RAM is the bare minimum for a modern system. if RAM usage gets really high, you might consider adding more RAM.
  4. Check your drive usage. Unless your page file is in heavy use, most systems will just touch an SSD during standard usage (web browsing, etc), If you notice the you are seeing extremely high usage of the SSD, I recommend a drive monitoring app from the company that made the drive (Samsung, OCZ, etc).

Thanks, I dont think its a CPU issue as it only hovers at around 10-35% usage normally.

My RAM is much higher usage wise, generally sitting on 5GB used out of the 8GB.

The issue isn't opening the browser for the first time, its more of less when it's been open and sitting minimized. After waking my PC up from sleeping, when I go to click on that browser re-open it (with the web pages still open) that is when It lags a little bit, or hesitates a little bit to load the page.

It isn't the biggest deal in the world, and doesn't effect my video viewing or game playing at all. Just something that developed recently that I wouldn't mind fixing if there was a way.

I have never had an issue with the PC and I've had it for 7 years and have played all sorts of games, even world of warcraft. So I don't think the 8GB of RAM is the issue here.

Would doing a clean install of windows 10 make my PC "like new"? since its fresh.

Also, since most everything is installed on my HDD - if I wipe the SSD and install windows 10 on it. Can everything from my HDD be accessed still and not be deleted when I get windows 10 up and running? -- Only reason I'm contemplating windows 10 is because apparently windows 7 is dead and could be dangerous to keep using.

Thanks.

Windows 10 would need to be an upgrade install to be free. So everything would be right where you left it, but technically it would be a fresh install.

Now after that point you could certainly back up data to your hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows 10, would just take a little more work to get the drivers you want and everything re-installed.

Reactions: rambo244
Solution