Question PC Freezes up when playing games

crumb_

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Ever since I upgraded my cpu to a i7 9700k and reset my pc I get random freezes that force me to power off my pc. Happens when im playing games so im guessing its when its under load? Maybe turn down the clock speed on cpu?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - turn down the clock speed to determine if the freezes stop.

Post other hardware specs: drives, GPU, RAM, PSU (make, model, wattage, age, condition), fans, etc..

Also tally up the wattage requirements for all of the pc's components. Use the high values. Add 25% and compare wattage total to the current PSU's capabilities.

crumb_

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Yes - turn down the clock speed to determine if the freezes stop.

Post other hardware specs: drives, GPU, RAM, PSU (make, model, wattage, age, condition), fans, etc..

Also tally up the wattage requirements for all of the pc's components. Use the high values. Add 25% and compare wattage total to the current PSU's capabilities.
Ok so I dont have any overheating issues after stress testing. My guess is that its a power issue or even an issue with the motherboard which is also brand new with my cpu. Also I just upgraded to a rtx 2080 from a gtx 1070, and the freezing still happens. Heres my specs:

CPU: i7 9700k

GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G1, 80+ Gold

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC LGA1151

SSD: Crucial MX300 1TB

CPU Fan: Cryorig H5 Universal

System Fans: Stock

The oldest part is probably the cpu fan which is maybe about 2 years old. Otherwise everything else is not even a year old yet. Also after calculating the watts it adds up to about 600W.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I would hope that the PSU is providing enough power but your system may be operating at some threshold values that just few watts more causes some failure or fault.

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance while not gaming and then while gaming. Look for increasing %'s of usage.

Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer may be capturing some relevant error codes and warnings around the time of the freezes. Red and yellow icons.

crumb_

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
So about 3 months ago I decided to upgrade to a i7-9700K cpu. With that also got a new mother board (MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC LGA1151). Ended up giving windows a full reset and re-installing drivers. Mostly used for gaming, but also edit videos a lot. During gaming, randomly the pc will freeze, not going to a blue screen or turning off just freezing at what ever im looking at. The fans on the cpu, case, and gpu will keep spinning. One time it did freeze when I was just on google chrome, but every other time was when I was gaming and freezes have probably happened over 10 times already. Sucks because the only trace I have on it is when im gaming, sometimes I can go hours and hours without a problem, other times it freezes 2 times in a row lasting 10 mins.

First Thought:
My first initial thought was that the cpu was over heating. Gave a stress test on AIDA64 for about an hour and temps didn't go over 65° C.

Second Thought:
Next thought and what I hope the problem is (cheapest fix), is that the psu not giving enough power. I did the calculations for my parts and they added up to about 600W (even adding 100W for extra room) when I have a 650W gold psu so should be good right?. Maybe its because I have all 8 usb slots filled with my crazy rgb peripherals including an HTC Vive. I even have 3 monitors.

Third Thought:
Maybe its a ram issue? Nope, tested ram and got no errors.

Final Thought:
What I fear the most is the new cpu or mobo being faulty. Didn't get a warranty or anything also had them for 3 months using them so no chance I'll get a refund. Asked a friend that works at GeekSquad what his thoughts were and he said mobo is probably faulty. I also believe its an issue with the motherboard, but again I want to see what smarter people have to say about this.

The oldest part is probably the cpu fan which is maybe about 2 years old. Otherwise everything else is not even a year old yet. Thank you for the help I will try to get back as soon as possible seeing that Toms Hardware doesn't notify me at all even with settings adjusted, this freezing drives me crazy and makes me lose competitive games.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if this identifies the problem more or not, but when the freeze happens I hear a weird kind of thump sounding noise through what ever audio I'm using.

Specs:

CPU:
i7-9700k

GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition (New after cpu and mobo, problem still happened before and after upgrade)

Ram:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)

crumb_

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
So about 3 months ago I decided to upgrade to a i7-9700K cpu. With that also got a new mother board (MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC LGA1151). Ended up giving windows a full reset and re-installing drivers. Mostly used for gaming, but also edit videos a lot. During gaming, randomly the pc will freeze, not going to a blue screen or turning off just freezing at what ever im looking at. The fans on the cpu, case, and gpu will keep spinning. One time it did freeze when I was just on google chrome, but every other time was when I was gaming and freezes have probably happened over 10 times already. Sucks because the only trace I have on it is when im gaming, sometimes I can go hours and hours without a problem, other times it freezes 2 times in a row lasting 10 mins.

First Thought:
My first initial thought was that the cpu was over heating. Gave a stress test on AIDA64 for about an hour and temps didn't go over 65° C.

Second Thought:
Next thought and what I hope the problem is (cheapest fix), is that the psu not giving enough power. I did the calculations for my parts and they added up to about 600W (even adding 100W for extra room) when I have a 650W gold psu so should be good right?. Maybe its because I have all 8 usb slots filled with my crazy rgb peripherals including an HTC Vive. I even have 3 monitors.

Third Thought:
Maybe its a ram issue? Nope, tested ram and got no errors.

Final Thought:
What I fear the most is the new cpu or mobo being faulty. Didn't get a warranty or anything also had them for 3 months using them so no chance I'll get a refund. Asked a friend that works at GeekSquad what his thoughts were and he said mobo is probably faulty. I also believe its an issue with the motherboard, but again I want to see what smarter people have to say about this.

The oldest part is probably the cpu fan which is maybe about 2 years old. Otherwise everything else is not even a year old yet. Thank you for the help I will try to get back as soon as possible seeing that Toms Hardware doesn't notify me at all even with settings adjusted, this freezing drives me crazy and makes me lose competitive games.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if this identifies the problem more or not, but when the freeze happens I hear a weird kind of thump sounding noise through what ever audio I'm using.

Specs:

CPU: i7-9700k

GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition (New after cpu and mobo, problem still happened before and after upgrade)

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)