[SOLVED] PC freezes (video and buzzing audio) or crashes randomly during games or fullscreen video playback.

May 22, 2020
I am also able to consistently reproduce the crashes with OCCT 3D test and Power test, both of which are GPU heavy tests. After 5 minutes of either of these stress, either of these cashes happen:
  • video + audio freeze, need to restart manually
  • system shuts off and on again, then fails before even posting and goes into a reboot loop. Need to turn off power manually and wait for the system to cool down before being able to boot.

Here are some of the things I looked into:
  • No apparent overheating: GPU and CPU at max 75°C under load.
  • Memtest OK
  • Didn't find relevant events in event viewer (except manual reboot)
  • Increased Virtual Memory to 1.5x RAM amount with no effect

Specs and stress test screenshots (OCCT )
  • MB: MSI Z97 PC Mate (drivers updated)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K (no OC)
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 (no OC)
  • RAM: 16GB Crucial DDR3-1600 (memtest OK)
  • PSU: Corsair CX600M
  • WIN10 64 18363.778 (1909/November 2019 Update)

Solution
So if I understand you correctly, my PSU is potentially of poor quality and therefore it might not deliver the needed wattage to my system?
Well it's actually like a 552 watt power supply on the 12 volt rail and just comes with a 3 year warranty so they were built with cheap parts.

The PC mate is also low quality but might hold up since your not overclocking.

You might try to borrow a friend's PSU their hard to find a new one in stock right now. Could also look at the voltage on the rails running OCCT. +/- 5% is what the 12 volt rail should read.

g
May 22, 2020
Could it be? I tried various power supply calculators for my exact specs and the max total wattage is always below 600W...Also would it explain the reboot loop when the system is hot?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Required Power Supply 750 Watt

That is a general statement and not true at all, they have no clue what the rest of your PC parts are. All they should state is the TDP of the card under full load. If I had the card and one of the power hungry 225 watt old FX processors 750 would not do then their also the quality of the power supply their a bunch of so called 750 watt ones that would pop on anything over 600 watts.

If he has the green label cx600 their junk anyhow.

May 22, 2020
That is a general statement and not true at all, they have no clue what the rest of your PC parts are. All they should state is the TDP of the card under full load. If I had the card and one of the power hungry 225 watt old FX processors 750 would not do then their also the quality of the power supply their a bunch of so called 750 watt ones that would pop on anything over 600 watts.

If he has the green label cx600 their junk anyhow.
So if I understand you correctly, my PSU is potentially of poor quality and therefore it might not deliver the needed wattage to my system?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well it's actually like a 552 watt power supply on the 12 volt rail and just comes with a 3 year warranty so they were built with cheap parts.

The PC mate is also low quality but might hold up since your not overclocking.

You might try to borrow a friend's PSU their hard to find a new one in stock right now. Could also look at the voltage on the rails running OCCT. +/- 5% is what the 12 volt rail should read.

g

Last edited:
Solution
May 22, 2020
Voltage on the 12 volt rail is looking fine.

However if the real wattage of the PSU is 552 and not 600 as i originally thought, then i might be going above under load? I would like to test this in HWinfo, however i'm not 100% sure what sensors to count. As far as i could make up:
  • CPU Package
  • + GPU Core Power
  • + GPU Aux Power?
  • + GPU Chip Power?
  • anything else?