Question PC freezes when checking for Win 10 updates (build 1809)

Apr 17, 2019
Hi, I noticed the past couple of weeks my PC would just freeze for hours and there was no way to get it working again but to just turn it off (without shutting down) then turn it back on. It would run for a few minuts then freeze up again. I troubleshot several things such as removing video cards, secondary HDD's, sound interfaces, etc. I finally concluded it's the automatic Windows 10 update that was running which was causing my PC to freeze. It kept getting errors when it would try to check for the latest update and when it would try to install updates. I finally went into the services app and disabled the automatic updates and my PC has been running normal since. Has anyone else experienced this with the 1809 build of Windows 10?

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Do you remember when this started happening? Have you downloaded or installed anything recently that might have began the strange freezes ?
You might want to check software side instead of immediately assuming it's hardware. In other words check a virus scan to make sure you don't have any strange programs, script kiddies, processes that are lurking during startup.
These days there are some hidden programs that will prevent Windows users to update and when they do they get errors and/or the dreaded BSOD. Try windows defender, then malwarebytes for a full scan and if all else fails you might want to do a system restore prior to all of this acting up and then try to update accordingly, Good luck!

Apr 17, 2019
It started about a week and a half ago which is right around the time a Win 10 update was installed. I can't see the KB# now as it's not showing in the system tab, I guess because I disabled the updates.

TRENDING THREADS