Question PC freezes when exiting Sleep Mode or when monitor is off - but only with dual monitors ?

lugi20

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
So this problem has been driving me bananas since starting to happen over the last month or so - the issue ONLY happens with both monitors (LG 27GL83A-B) plugged in (Displayports), this never happens with one monitor - and I've tested them both individually, from their own Displayport connections on two different graphics cards.

The symptoms are that the PC hangs on the lock screen when waking from sleep mode, particularly after being in sleep mode for more some time. For example, if I force the PC into sleep mode, and immediately wake, it never freezes. Also, occassionally it will freeze on desktop when turning the monitors back on before the PC has gone into sleep mode. To clarify, when I mean freeze the screen is on, typically on the lock screen, but no input works. CTRL+ALT+DEL also doesn't work. I have fully reinstalled Windows 10 Pro several times, everything is updated (drivers, firmwares, etc.). I have played with a lot of power settings from research online (no hybrid sleep mode, no hybernate, HDD set to turn off NEVER, etc.

I ended up basically buying all the components to build a new PC, and even with all new parts (except the PSU and Monitors), the issue persists. PSU is a Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 watt from late 2017.

My original PC with the issue was:

ASUS Maximus IX Hero (Z270)
7700K (stock clocks)
Gskil Trident Z CL14 2x16 3200
1080 Ti FE Samsung 960 Pro SSD (512 gb).

I then replaced some parts (and barrowed a GPU) to:

MSI MAG Tomahawk (Z490)
10600K (stock clocks)
Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16 2x8 (3200)
GTX 1070 (loaned by buddy for testing)
WD Blue SN500 SSD (500 gb)

I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on, given that I basically build two completed different PC's short of the PSU and monitors.

lugi20

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Let me know if posting this issue in a different forum would be more appropriate. Really hoping to get this resolved as I do not like hard resetting my PC multiple times a day.