Question PC freezes when installing new program to (none OS) SSD.

Taskwah

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Hi Guys,

Looking for a little help with the current issue I am facing. I decided to treat myself to an SSD specifically for games and it worked for 6 months or so, I then seen that you can use Samsung magician to increase the speed of your SSD, so I did and this worked for another month or so, but then I started to notice that every time I got an update for a game installed on to the SSD my whole PC would crash. This was super weird to me as my OS is not installed on this SSD, but another one I have in my rig.

In total I have 3 drives, 2 SSD's and 1 HHD. the first SSD, 128GD is for my OS and some core installed programs, the 1TB HHD is for all my files, photos and not so important games. Then my 250GB SSD was for games. But now ever time I try to install/update anything on this second SSD it completely crashes and freezes my PC. The only way to fix the freeze is if I force shut down (hold the power button) the PC and then turn it back on. I then have to stop the program from installing/updateing before the PC crashes again. EG- Open steam after the restart and quickly cancel the download before it crashes the PC again.

I haven't tried to unallocated the SDD and re allocate it yet, I will try tonight as soon as I am home, but was just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue or knows how to fix the issue.
I can provide more info tonight once I am home and on the PC if required.
Specs are as follows:
CPU - Intel Core i5 4690k
MOBO - Asus Z97-K - SATA3, USB3, XFire
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400mhz
GPU - Asus Strix Nvidia Gtx1070 8gb
OS - Windows 10
SSD 1 - 120gb Kingston V300 SSD, SATA 6Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
HHD 1 - 1TB SATA3 Hard Drive (UDMA600)
SSD 2 (the problem part) Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

Since discovering this issue (12 months ago) I have just treated the SSD as if it wasn't even in my PC and only used the HHD for games and all other bits. Just feels harsh as I paid for the part and now I cant use it.

if any one needs any more info from me please let me know and will provide as much as I can as soon as I am at home. I am not the most technical either and apologies in advance for any mistakes I may make.

Thanks for your Time!

Hi Guys,

Looking for a little help with the current issue I am facing. I decided to treat myself to an SSD specifically for games and it worked for 6 months or so, I then seen that you can use Samsung magician to increase the speed of your SSD, so I did and this worked for another month or so, but then I started to notice that every time I got an update for a game installed on to the SSD my whole PC would crash. This was super weird to me as my OS is not installed on this SSD, but another one I have in my rig.

In total I have 3 drives, 2 SSD's and 1 HHD. the first SSD, 128GD is for my OS and some core installed programs, the 1TB HHD is for all my files, photos and not so important games. Then my 250GB SSD was for games. But now ever time I try to install/update anything on this second SSD it completely crashes and freezes my PC. The only way to fix the freeze is if I force shut down (hold the power button) the PC and then turn it back on. I then have to stop the program from installing/updateing before the PC crashes again. EG- Open steam after the restart and quickly cancel the download before it crashes the PC again.

I haven't tried to unallocated the SDD and re allocate it yet, I will try tonight as soon as I am home, but was just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue or knows how to fix the issue.
I can provide more info tonight once I am home and on the PC if required.
Specs are as follows:
CPU - Intel Core i5 4690k
MOBO - Asus Z97-K - SATA3, USB3, XFire
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400mhz
GPU - Asus Strix Nvidia Gtx1070 8gb
OS - Windows 10
SSD 1 - 120gb Kingston V300 SSD, SATA 6Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
HHD 1 - 1TB SATA3 Hard Drive (UDMA600)
SSD 2 (the problem part) Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

Since discovering this issue (12 months ago) I have just treated the SSD as if it wasn't even in my PC and only used the HHD for games and all other bits. Just feels harsh as I paid for the part and now I cant use it.

if any one needs any more info from me please let me know and will provide as much as I can as soon as I am at home. I am not the most technical either and apologies in advance for any mistakes I may make.

Thanks for your Time!

Have you tried changing the problem ssd to a different Sata channel? I had a similar issue with a HDD years ago and moving the cable from one port to another on the motherboard resolved it. Also worth checking that both ends of the cable are firmly fitted to both the SSD and Sata port on the motherboard and finally I would try running it with a different Sata cable (e.g. borrow the one from your HDD) just to rule out a faulty cable.

Reactions: Taskwah

Taskwah

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Have you tried changing the problem ssd to a different Sata channel? I had a similar issue with a HDD years ago and moving the cable from one port to another on the motherboard resolved it. Also worth checking that both ends of the cable are firmly fitted to both the SSD and Sata port on the motherboard and finally I would try running it with a different Sata cable (e.g. borrow the one from your HDD) just to rule out a faulty cable.

I'm sure I already tried this already, lots of unplugging and re plugging ^^ but I will change all the cables over again tonight and report if I have the same issue or not.
Thanks!

Reactions: cdrkf
Is the drive approaching full?
If so, your new install could fail.

Magician has a diagnostic which you can run.
Check the firmware level of your drive. It might need updating.
You could try re initializing the drive.
If all else fails, your drive is likely still under warranty.
Contact Samsung support.

Reactions: Taskwah

Taskwah

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Is the drive approaching full?
If so, your new install could fail.

Magician has a diagnostic which you can run.
Check the firmware level of your drive. It might need updating.
You could try re initializing the drive.
If all else fails, your drive is likely still under warranty.
Contact Samsung support.

I completely removed everything from the SSD as soon as I realized that it would crash my PC when I received updates for the games installed on it. I also formatted the SSD, none of this worked.
I did use the Samsung magician to check for any issues but it always reported back as everything is fine. I will run a check again tonight!
I will also try re initializing the drive tonight and if that fails I will go straight to Samsung!
Thanks for your reply and suggestions!