PC freezes when playing games

Jul 6, 2018
So in terms of the issue, basically I'll be playing a game, it can be any game from slay the spire, up to something more intensive such as Fallout, and randomly, during a session my screen will completely lock and audio will also stop. A weird quirk of the error, is that if I wait around 30 seconds and press escape it will sometimes go back to normal, if not I have to reset.

Specs:
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
AMD FX-8350
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 970
16GB DDR3 RAM (2x8GB)
550W Antec PSU
Windows 10

Nothing has been overclocked, its all running at stock settings.

So far I have tried;
Reinstalling Windows and Nvidia drivers
Taking apart the PC, removing dust and putting it all back together
Used Memtest86 on my RAM (No issues found after a while testing)
Checked temperatures, all seem fine based on google results.
Tested my HDD with WesternDigital data lifeguard

And so far it hasn't solved anything. Upon checking Eventviewer nothing has come up on the latest freeze, but in the past I have saw errors like
"The description for Event ID 1 from source NVIDIA OpenGL Driver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

This made me think it was a GPU issue, which led me to reinstalled it completely using DDU uninstaller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
If you have a cloud service to backup your personal files like documentation and photos then I think that you should do a fresh windows install then install the latest drivers for the 970. Before reading your last few sentences I would have thought that it was a faulty RAM issue. Don't worry about your steam saves because you can backup those through cloud services that are third party or you can use steams cloud service which I believe is free.

Steam Cloud: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6736-QEIG-8941

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
If you have a cloud service to backup your personal files like documentation and photos then I think that you should do a fresh windows install then install the latest drivers for the 970. Before reading your last few sentences I would have thought that it was a faulty RAM issue. Don't worry about your steam saves because you can backup those through cloud services that are third party or you can use steams cloud service which I believe is free.

Steam Cloud: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6736-QEIG-8941

Solution