PC freezes when using Save As/Open As

DraPC

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello. I have this problem that when I use Save As or Open as function my pc simply freezes for a while. It happens like this: Use this function>if saving instantly it saves; if lets say change folder or do anything more>pc freezes for a while. If sound is playing at the same time, it also turns into weird siren like thing.

I use windows 10 and already tried, but didn't help:
sfc
malware and virus scans
error checking
disabled One Drive (I felt a bit of improvement after this, but it still freezes).

Ralston18

Titan
Look in the Task Manager, the Performance Manager and the Resource Monitor.

See if you can identify some process or service taking lots of resources.

The Event Viewer may also help if it is capturing some error code or warning just before or at the time of the freeze.

But first check the monitors and see what may be happening there.

DraPC

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
I checked after last time. Event viewer - nothing. Task Manager showed something interesting.
Dirrectly after freeze when I opened it, it showed very high usage on:
Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted)
System and Compressed Memory.

Oh right, I was watching video online so that MIGHT have influenced 1st one. Overall, each of them showed high Disk usage - about 7 MB/S, but the moment computer became normal again SH:Local system dropped to 0 and System and Compressed Memory to below 0.5

Ralston18

Titan
Good.

What were you using to view the video?

Any file compression or indexing going on?

See if you can drill down into the details more and see what else you can discover.

The goal is to be able to replicate the freeze problem at will. Once you have the cause identified then working out the fix. Perhaps just a new driver or a software update could end the freezing. Or more RAM - check the specifications.

TRENDING THREADS