Question PC freezes when waking up from sleep, and then reboots ?

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
The last week I can’t wake up my PC from sleep. There are no errors, no Windows login screen, it just goes straight to restart. It’s been fine for two years, but I can’t figure out what changed suddenly.

To resolve the issue I tried updating graphics and chipset drivers. Tried clean boot. Uninstalled optional security update that I installed a week ago.

Before that I was looking into tweaking my case fans and curves, so I was playing around with App Center for Gigabyte Aorus 450b. I did not change much, but it installed a dozen of different apps which I all cleaned out. I also used Fan Control, but mostly for information purposes, I have not changed anything there. I did go into BIOS and changed two fans modes from normal to silent, but I doubt that’s the problem. I can’t think of any other system changes that could have such an effect. So any advice or help is appreciated.

As per found suggestion, I have disabled G-Sync/Adaptive sync in Display settings and in Nvidia control panel. That didn't seem to work.
I have installed the App Center back, and it fixed the issues for a couple of days, but then it started again. Still absolutely no idea what's causing it.

System specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte Aorus 450b
MSI RTX 2070s
Coolmaster Thunder 600W

Lutfij

Titan
Coolmaster Thunder 600W
How old is this unit? Regardless of it's age, that unit is considered a very expensive paperweight.

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? What OS are you working with? If Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
Coolmaster Thunder 600W
How old is this unit? Regardless of it's age, that unit is considered a very expensive paperweight.

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? What OS are you working with? If Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.
PSU is pretty old, the oldest part in this new rig. Changing it is not a problem, I just don't think it has any connection to the issue at hand.

OS is Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.19044 Build 19044.
BIOD Version/Date: F41, 7/22/2019.

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
My guess would be the Gigabyte app center. Is it in the startup menu? Try disabling it in the startup, or uninstalling it to see if it corrects the issue. You can also try going in to bios, and reset bios to original/optimal settings.
As I have said, the issue seems to have appeared after I installed App Center and then removed it completely. I installed it back, and it felt like it fixed it for a couple of days, but now the issue reappeared.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I've seen a lot of systems that run into trouble from stability issues and BSODs and such to reboots after installing Gigabyte's App Center. If you ask me it is just asking for trouble.

You installed it and after removing it problem started. You installed back and now the problem "reappeared". That can mean a hardware issue is more likely.

As said above you can clear CMOS or reset BIOS to defaults via the BIOS iteself. Also if you have them you can test resroting Windows 10 to a restore point before installing the Gigabyte thing.

That PSU is really not good, was bad even when it was brand new. How old is "pretty old" exactly? If it's over 3-4 years you sould replace that with a good quality PSU, regardless of these reboots.

Can you test with another known good PSU? If it works the old one is failing.

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
I've seen a lot of systems that run into trouble from stability issues and BSODs and such to reboots after installing Gigabyte's App Center. If you ask me it is just asking for trouble.

You installed it and after removing it problem started. You installed back and now the problem "reappeared". That can mean a hardware issue is more likely.
Not quite. I'll try to explain again:
  • there is no problem initially;
  • I install App Center to get to System Fan 5 on Windows side. It doesn't run. I uninstall App Center;
  • issue manifests;
  • I install back App Center;
  • the issues goes away for a couple of days;
  • the issue reappears out of the blue.
I am happy to uninstall it once again. But it doesn't make a difference.

That PSU is really not good, was bad even when it was brand new. How old is "pretty old" exactly? If it's over 3-4 years you sould replace that with a good quality PSU, regardless of these reboots.
Thank you for the general advice, I'll try to replace it as soon as I can, just to be sure. Any good recommended models and makes?

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
My guess would be the Gigabyte app center. Is it in the startup menu? Try disabling it in the startup, or uninstalling it to see if it corrects the issue. You can also try going in to bios, and reset bios to original/optimal settings.
I have just had a normal sleep/wake-up episode after loading optimal BIOS settings.

Again not sure, if it is fixed, or just a random success.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I install App Center to get to System Fan 5 on Windows side. It doesn't run. I uninstall App Center;
My point basically, it's a crappy set of "utilities". Aproper application should run after it is installed.

You didn't say how old the PSU was again. That's not just general advice. That PSU was bad even in its prime. Now that it is a few years old, even more so. Bas as in it is more likely to fail compared to good quality ones and if it fails it's more likely to kill other components too.

As for the PSU minimum requirement, or recommendation if you like, for a 2070s is a 550W unit. I personally would get a 650W to have some head room for a few years when the PSU starts to lose it's nominal capacity.

Suggesting a PSU depends on your budget but a few good quality 650W PSU that come to mind right now are Corsair RM650x (2021 or 2018) or XPG Core Reactor 650W.

Reactions: dharlequin

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
Sigh I know, that will show what devices are being initiated for waking and one may be causing the error.
Here's what it shows:
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse (001)
HID Keyboard Device (004)
Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller
HID Keyboard Device (005)
NVIDIA USB Type-C Port Policy Controller

And before you might ask, I really have only one keyboard :D

dharlequin

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
What power setting are you using in windows? Did you try disabling fast startup? When you go to wake up your computer what do you use, the mouse, keyboard, or doesn't matter which one it restarts anyway?
AMD Ryzen High Performance. Fast startup is disabled. From my experience my mouse does not wake up the PC, so I'm using keyboard.

Sorry forgot to ask do you have something plugged in to the Gpu usb-c slot, like vr or something else?
I actually don't event have a USB-C slot on my GPU. I do have Oculus Quest 2 though, but it's connected via Wi-Fi. And when I'm not using it, it's turned off completely, not in sleep mode.

All that said, it's been a couple of days of smooth sailing with sleep and wake procedures. I am not sure which combination of actions or inactions made it fine or if it's going to manifest itself again.