Question PC freezes whenever I try to install any OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

_C_H_R

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022
Hi guys, recently I acquired some used & new components to build a home server and once everything arrived I decided to install Win 10 just to do some benchmarks for checking purpose.
During the install process the PC freezes and lockup, neither mouse could move nor keyboard could type (typing the num lk to turn on/off the light). I tried Proxmox install, same thing happens. But it can stay in BIOS without crashing.

Components:
CPU: Threadripper 1950x
MB: Asus Prime x399-A
RAM: 4*16GB Crucial EUDIMM - new
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (Tested in other PC fully functional), Kingston A400 - new
PSU: Just an old 650w psu I have

I tried to swap Ram, removed all 4 dimms and inserted 1 stick of Gskill 16gb, can boot into BIOS without any issue, but once I try to install any OS same thing happens.
Is it my mb or CPU that is faulty to cause this issue? How can I tell if I have no other x399 component to try.

Thanks in advance!!

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
Hi guys, recently I acquired some used & new components to build a home server and once everything arrived I decided to install Win 10 just to do some benchmarks for checking purpose.
During the install process the PC freezes and lockup, neither mouse could move nor keyboard could type (typing the num lk to turn on/off the light). I tried Proxmox install, same thing happens. But it can stay in BIOS without crashing.

Components:
CPU: Threadripper 1950x
MB: Asus Prime x399-A
RAM: 4*16GB Crucial EUDIMM - new
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (Tested in other PC fully functional), Kingston A400 - new
PSU: Just an old 650w psu I have

I tried to swap Ram, removed all 4 dimms and inserted 1 stick of Gskill 16gb, can boot into BIOS without any issue, but once I try to install any OS same thing happens.
Is it my mb or CPU that is faulty to cause this issue? How can I tell if I have no other x399 component to try.

Thanks in advance!!
Try doing it with the Kingston A400 unplugged.

Feb 7, 2023
Have you updated your Mobo's BIOS yet? if not please do it.
Have you ever updated the firmware on your Samsung SSD? pull it out from your server, insert it into a working Windows Machine, download samsung ssd tools (whatever it's called I forgot), and update its firmware.
try it again when both done.

Status
Not open for further replies.