Question PC Freezes while gaming lately

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
Hello!

A while ago my PC started to freeze randomly while playing a game. I noticed that the monitor with the game running was pretty much unusable, but I could partly use some windows features on the second screen. I was actually able to pause and play a youtube video, with sound, that was running on the second screen, but once I open task manager, pretty much everything is frozen. I also noticed my Keyboard software freezing too as the lightning profile stops.

Things I have tried:
  • BIOS update, both to the most recent version and some below.
  • Updated drivers.
  • Updated Windows.
  • Checked windows reliability monitor, which only tells me that the PC shut down incorrectly, which is true as I have to shut the PC down holding the power button.
  • Did sfc /scannow.
  • Did a Virus scan.
  • Tried new RAM.

Update:
  • Deleted all temp files.
  • Reset BIOS once again.
  • Disabled XMP profiles.
  • Changed Windows Power Plan back to balanced.
  • Extended HDD test.
The freezes only happen while gaming. Not specific to a game. It doesn't happen much, but around once in 2-3 days.

My PC specs are:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8G
  • PSU: Corsair RM750X
  • CPU-cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
  • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO SSD 250gb
  • CASE: NZXT S340 White
  • Extra case fans (2x): Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 + NZXT Aer P
  • LED-Kit NZXT Hue+ RGB
I hope someone can give me a clue what I should do, as I am out of idea's at this point... Thanks!

Last edited:
"I noticed that the monitor with the game running was pretty much unusable, but I could partly use some windows features on the second screen "

I'm going to guess that the 1070 doesn't like 2 monitors being used at the same time. You didn't list the size of the two monitors which could be the issue if you're asking the 1070 to game while displaying two large screens.

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
"I noticed that the monitor with the game running was pretty much unusable, but I could partly use some windows features on the second screen "

I'm going to guess that the 1070 doesn't like 2 monitors being used at the same time. You didn't list the size of the two monitors which could be the issue if you're asking the 1070 to game while displaying two large screens.
Ah, forgot to mention that.
The monitors I am running is a standard 24 inch 1080P monitor and an Ultra Wide 1080P 29 inch monitor. Nothing too crazy.
I have this PC for around 3 years now and I upgraded motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, SSD and RAM, where CPU, Motherboard, CPU Cooler and RAM were quite recent, but I was able to play for a month without having this issue. The last thing that happened that I can remember when this issue occurred is a Windows update, but it can be something else since I might have missed something. Anyway, I am playing on this exact dual monitor setup with the 1070 for 2 years now.

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
Today it crashed once again while gaming. The sound kinda got looped and I was still able to have Ryzen Master show up that I already had running on the background. The only thing I noticed was my CPU PPT being at around 80% of 88W. I am not sure if this is normal, but thats the only thing that stood out to me.
Since I noticed that my PC freezes while gaming only and windows still partly works, could this be the HDD causing the freeze? I got my HDD with my games and SSD for Windows, but since I can't find anything in Windows Event manager I might think that could be it?