Question Pc freezes while installing windows?

Jul 31, 2022
Pc specs:

Cpu: i7 9700k
Mobo: rog strix z390-f
Ram: Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr4 2x
Old psu: evga g+ 850 gold
New psu: Corsair RM850

Hey everyone, so almost a week ago I turned on my pc and it would not boot to windows, instead it would send me to the windows recovery environment and tell me that windows failed to load properly.

I proceeded to troubleshoot everything from ram to gpu but nothing worked, even took my motherboard out of the case because I thought it might have been a pressure issue with tight screws but it wasn’t, also reset cmos.

When this happened I thought it might be a m.2 ssd problem as my friend had a similar problem, so I took the ssd to my friends house and tested it on his pc, it did the exact same thing, it would almost boot to windows then it would send us to the recovery page. So easy fix I thought, well not quite.

So when I got home I bought a new 2.5 inch ssd and did a completely fresh install of windows, I manage to go through the windows install process where it asks you language and country and how you want to install windows and then after it goes through all the check marks of installing windows where it says installing features and installing updates the pc resets and starts to load to take you to the rest of the windows setup and on this point it just freezes, it displays my motherboard logo and a little windows loading circle and it just doesn’t move.

So when this happened I had some friends come over to help me with trouble shooting and while using my friends cpu cooler, psu and ssd it managed to boot to his version of windows, so from there we assumed it was a power supply issue and that the reason my ssd’s were not working is because the power supply fried them.

So I proceeded to order a new rm850 power supply and a new ssd and when I have tried it AGAIN with a fresh install of windows it got to the exact same place and did it again.

At this point I’m absolutely stumped for ideas, I think it could be a motherboard issue but I can’t be quite sure as the same cpu and motherboard managed to boot with my friends ssd, power supply and cpu fan.

At this point I’ve tried everything but replacing the cpu and motherboard, help would be much appreciated!!!

Pc specs:

Cpu: i7 9700k
Mobo: rog strix z390-f
Ram: Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr4 2x
Old psu: evga g+ 850 gold
New psu: Corsair RM850

Hey everyone, so almost a week ago I turned on my pc and it would not boot to windows, instead it would send me to the windows recovery environment and tell me that windows failed to load properly.

I proceeded to troubleshoot everything from ram to gpu but nothing worked, even took my motherboard out of the case because I thought it might have been a pressure issue with tight screws but it wasn’t, also reset cmos.

When this happened I thought it might be a m.2 ssd problem as my friend had a similar problem, so I took the ssd to my friends house and tested it on his pc, it did the exact same thing, it would almost boot to windows then it would send us to the recovery page. So easy fix I thought, well not quite.

So when I got home I bought a new 2.5 inch ssd and did a completely fresh install of windows, I manage to go through the windows install process where it asks you language and country and how you want to install windows and then after it goes through all the check marks of installing windows where it says installing features and installing updates the pc resets and starts to load to take you to the rest of the windows setup and on this point it just freezes, it displays my motherboard logo and a little windows loading circle and it just doesn’t move.

So when this happened I had some friends come over to help me with trouble shooting and while using my friends cpu cooler, psu and ssd it managed to boot to his version of windows, so from there we assumed it was a power supply issue and that the reason my ssd’s were not working is because the power supply fried them.

So I proceeded to order a new rm850 power supply and a new ssd and when I have tried it AGAIN with a fresh install of windows it got to the exact same place and did it again.

At this point I’m absolutely stumped for ideas, I think it could be a motherboard issue but I can’t be quite sure as the same cpu and motherboard managed to boot with my friends ssd, power supply and cpu fan.

At this point I’ve tried everything but replacing the cpu and motherboard, help would be much appreciated!!!
Full system specs will help one what all drives are you using are you still trying to have the m.w installed well doing a new windows install on a different drive?, two is the bios upto date, three slow you role a little bit... Yes testing things is okay and trying different parts won't hurt "always" but in the end if a system is having a issue and you start throwing random people stuff in it to test plboots and things like this with out a full system look over you may kill their parts to and it may not be right away it may not be in a week but it can kill another person part x amount of time after booting in a faulty system

Jul 31, 2022
Full system specs will help one what all drives are you using are you still trying to have the m.w installed well doing a new windows install on a different drive?, two is the bios upto date, three slow you role a little bit... Yes testing things is okay and trying different parts won't hurt "always" but in the end if a system is having a issue and you start throwing random people stuff in it to test plboots and things like this with out a full system look over you may kill their parts to and it may not be right away it may not be in a week but it can kill another person part x amount of time after booting in a faulty system

I am using one brand new ssd to install a fresh version of windows from a memory stick while using the latest media installation tool from microsoft, that is the only drive connected to the pc.

full system specs are:

CPU: I7 9700k
MOTHERBOARD: ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHZ
GPU: RTX 2060TI
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x
PSU: Corsair RM850
STORAGE: Samsung 870 QVO

Bios up to date

I have just updated bios to the latest version and im still having the same problem with my original setup except im using the new power supply.

using other parts

Fair enough you make a good point, im currently testing with just my original system.

Jul 31, 2022
Okay so weird update, i managed to install windows 11 with almost no issues, while installing it came up with a message that my pc wouldn't let windows start properly so it had to do an update but after that it more or less just loaded to windows, im still very confused because i feel like i shouldn't be able to use windows 11 if i cant install windows 10 without having hardware issues. I feel like the problem isnt fully resolved but im not sure wether ot keep trying to install windows 10 or not.