PC freezes while playing games

mEnforcer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
Hi,

Recently my pc has had this many times. When playing CS:GO, GTA V, doesn't matter what game.

After a while of playing my pc just freezes (sound stops, mouse chops around) for like 5-10 sec.
This happens 5-10 times and then it stops till the next day.

It's not that annoying but I'm just suspecting my CPU to be on the end of its life.
(Pc has always had something, one problem after another, cpu never has been replaced since then)

If specs are needed:
CPU: I5-4670k @ 4.00GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB BARRACUDA
SSD (primary): 256GB 850 PRO
PSU: Coolermaster V1000
MOBO: MSI z87-g45

Solution
Alright. Now set the default speed of the cpu (3,4 and 3,8 turbo) and still keep the speed static at 3,8 and see if the same thing happens again.
If it does, then I would like you to set the cpu to speed 3GHz and nothing more, still static and see if you freeze up then also.
If you do then it is either your CPU or motherboard what is dying.

mEnforcer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

Already did a full clean install of windows with all new drivers installed

mEnforcer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

Never experienced it while browsing so far

Hmmm.

Do me a favor and restart your computer.
Go into bios.
Turn of speed steeping so your cpu does not throttle down in GHz but stay at 4GHz with or without load.
Save and quit.
Boot up and stay in windows, and do not start any program or anything that will stress the cpu. See if you will start to lag around or freeze up then. If you do you have your answer.

mEnforcer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

Will do once I get back from work, I'll get back to you. Thanks for the help so far

mEnforcer

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

I put the overclock on static so its 4.00GHz constantly but it seems like the issue still occurs

Alright. Now set the default speed of the cpu (3,4 and 3,8 turbo) and still keep the speed static at 3,8 and see if the same thing happens again.
If it does, then I would like you to set the cpu to speed 3GHz and nothing more, still static and see if you freeze up then also.
If you do then it is either your CPU or motherboard what is dying.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS