Pc freezes while playing games

imdesperate123

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I'm trying to play fortnite and everything looks great for 5 minutes until the game freezes. Windows 7 btw.

Processor: AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.40 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
System: 64-bit

Solution
First make sure your video card drivers are updated. Radeon autodetect can help you with this. Not just the integrated graphics processor in the CPU but the video card.

Scroll down a bit more to get to the CPU temp section. Scroll down further to get to the GPU temp section. Load a CPU stress test program like prime95 and see how high your temps get and if it crashes. Then do the same with a GPU testing program like Furmark which can tell you what your max temp itself. Give us the max CPU and GPU temps you can reach after a few mins.

If temps aren't the issue then try removing the graphics card and just use your integrated graphics. See if it crashes.

jr9

Estimable
Does the entire PC lockup and require a restart or does just the game freeze/crash?

I recommend first going to your motherboard's support page and downloading any chipset or VGA driver updates you see and installing them.

imdesperate123

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Just he game, not entire PC.
Thank you, I will try that

jr9

Estimable
- How are your CPU temps? Download HWinfo and have a look at your max CPU temps after running a stress tester like prime95 or the CPU burner tool on Furmark. Overheating can cause lockups.

- Does it only crash in Fortnite?

jr9

Estimable
You need to select sensors in order to get temps.

I also didn't realize you had a graphics card because you have an APU processor. I would try updating the drivers for the graphics card if you haven't already. Another idea is try running the game on just the integrated GPU and see if it freezes without the video card.

jr9

Estimable
First make sure your video card drivers are updated. Radeon autodetect can help you with this. Not just the integrated graphics processor in the CPU but the video card.

Scroll down a bit more to get to the CPU temp section. Scroll down further to get to the GPU temp section. Load a CPU stress test program like prime95 and see how high your temps get and if it crashes. Then do the same with a GPU testing program like Furmark which can tell you what your max temp itself. Give us the max CPU and GPU temps you can reach after a few mins.

If temps aren't the issue then try removing the graphics card and just use your integrated graphics. See if it crashes.

Solution