Question PC Freezes while rendering. RTX 3090, 5800x, 32GB RAM and B450 Motherboard

Mar 7, 2023
As listed above the specs of my build are the following:

RTX 3090 FE gpu

Ryzen 7 5800x

32Gb 3200Mhz (4x8) Kingston Fury RAM

B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

1Kw MSI MPG Psu

This problem started occuring when i upgraded my gpu from a GTX 1080 ti to the 3090: the PC kept shutting down when in max load (the cpu and gpu together were peaking at 500W) so I though changing my old Sharkoon 850W would solve the problem.

Got the new 1Kw Psu from MSI and got no problem for a few weeks, then it started freezing again with the following symptoms: Pc unresponsive for about 5 seconds and then No video output, strangely enough the audio keeps going. The CPU Red Light on the MOBO lights up and the only way to stop the crash is to force restart the pc.

I then Undervolted both the Cpu and Gpu to get a lower peak power draw, reaching less than 400w. Still no solution.

I have all the latest drivers installed (gpu, BIOS, windows update), I tried different RAM models and configurations and tried using only one monitor (I usually use 2 together).

All the components are first hand.

I'm assuming the problem could be from the GPU (which I doubt) or the Motherboard itself as it's fairly dated (2018-2019).

Let me know what you think, I really hope to find some insights before I try to swap out the motherboard.

Reactions: Thomas2419

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
I would search to see if other people have similar problems with the software you use and I would make sure:
  • That the firmware of my devices are up to date.
  • That the drivers are up to date.
  • That the OS is up to date.
  • That the software is up to date.
  • To get a chassis with good airflow.
  • To get better CPU/GPU cooling (I've skipped both the 2000 series , unless you include the 1600 in the 2000 series, and the 3000 series due to their DTP. And I avoid ATI GPU's due to my bad experience with their drivers and support.
And I would check what the motherboard posts when the system starts misbehaving and/or the logs of the OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
You can also try with half the RAM or two 8gb sticks in slots 2 and 4 away from the CPU socket. Sometimes AMD does not like 4 sticks of RAM. Were the RAM sticks you purchased in a 32gb kit of 4 sticks or were they mix and matched kits?

Specially on the B450's

At OP which MSI PSU did you get. Not all are made equal. Needs to be top for a 3090 and it's transient power spikes.

Reactions: helper800
Mar 7, 2023
Specially on the B450's

At OP which MSI PSU did you get. Not all are made equal. Needs to be top for a 3090 and it's transient power spikes.
the PSU is the MSI MPG A1000G, should be decent enough, I also tried all the RAM configurations possible and I even tried other RAM sticks with the same or a lower frequency (2400Mhz) without any change

Apr 17, 2023
I would suggest actually downgrading your nvidia geforce drivers, this helped significantly reduce a very similar problem for me. Also a good idea if you haven't solved this problem to try it in another pc set up.

Last edited: