PC Freezes, yet I can still click around, etc

Jake9010

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
A couple of weeks ago I installed a Corsair H110 to cool my CPU. I had to take all of my parts out to fit it in my case. Ever since then, just about every day, 2-3 times a day, my computer just kinda freezes. I can still open new tabs in Chrome or attempt to go to a website, but nothing happens. If I'm listening to music, it just stops. If I try to open something, it just loads. Once it's little freeze fit stops, everything goes back to normal. I'm not sure if it's a software/hardware issue. I just posted it here, rather than posting it in a random piece of hardware forum. If there's a section for something like this, please move it.

Specs:
CPU - AMD 6300
GPU - XFX 7850
MOBO - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM 16GB Corsair Ballistix Sport
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
Storage - 2 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs/1 1TB WD Caviar Blue (OS is on one of the SSDs)
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

EDIT: I forgot to add, a little over a week ago, I did get a random Memory_Management BSOD. I never got one again after.

Sh4d0w45p

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Sounds a little like a CPU problem. Did you add thermal paste when you put the H110 on? did you remove that last lot of thermal paste?

Could be a heat issue - get realtemp and check out your core temps.
Or you may have pushed thermal paste where it shouldn't be... that'll require a clean up and it's possible you may have damaged the cpu.

was the BSOD before or after the freezing?

Jake9010

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

My temps seem to be doing fine. They usually average around 28-35C. I cleaned the paste of well, and applied a pea-sized dot of thermal paste. Tomorrow I'll check and make sure there isn't any under the cpu, but I'm about 99% sure there isn't. I got the blue screen in the same time frame that it has been happening. I don't think it happened less before I got the blue screen though.

Haeight

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
You now have a water cooler, does this mean you overclocked? Could be unstable. If you have not OC, then you may not be cooling your VRM's since the airflow would be different with a water cooler vs heatsink and fan. Overheating VRM's will not give you enough power and unstable power causing lock ups and eventually a fried motherboard.

Jake9010

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

I'm not overclocked. This happens when doing the smallest tasks. I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but my case is tons cooler on the inside than when I had the stock heatsink, so I'd think the VRM's would have been hotter with the old heatsink. Is there anyway to check the VRM temps? I honestly don't really know much about them.

Jake9010

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

I actually haven't been able to access my BIOS. Apparently my motherboard doesn't support flat screens for a monitor, so I have to either buy a cheap monitor or buy a VGA to HDMI if that would work.