Question Pc freezing, 5950X, 2080TI. GIGABYTE X570 MASTER

Jul 23, 2021
Hello my friends,

A few weeks ago i suddenly starting getting random freezes and only hitting the power button is the only solution unlesss i leave it around 5-10 mins and it may reboot iself. At first i thought it was only while gaming but it would do it when watching youtube/twitch and even once when i was afk from my PC with nothing open on the desktop. Now in games just before the PC freezes i start getting frame drops from 120fps to 60 then 50 then 40 then 20 then freeze. 20% of the time my pc can recover but when it does that both my monitors loose signal then come back. I expected to see a nvidia driver recoverd popup but ive never seen that.

Anyways, I did a few steps to try and fix my issue, updated bios to latest versions still freezes, put back to older bios version still freezes. I used DDU and reinstalled nvidia drivers to latest did not work, I used DDU and isntalled to older versions of drivers still freezing. I formatted, installed only nvidia drivers still freezes, I started going around unplugging all devices I did not need, and for 3 days with just mouse and keyboard i had no freeze then all of a sudden freeze in a game. I ran memtest for a full run, 0 problems. I ran XMP off and on, I ran precision boost of and on all with the same results. So my last straw was to update bios to latest and all drivers to there latest versions.

3 weeks passes no crashes (and i use my pc HEAVLY for multiple things at once even recently playing new world lol) Untill last night, started playing warzone and freeze on title screen. Rebooted, loaded into a game playing... FPS drops to half then half again and freeze. I unisntalled all motherboard software i had installed day before and i was able to game the whole night without a single freeze/problem. I booted my pc today and browing twitch/tube suddenly a freeze. rebooted 5 mins later freeze on desktop again, with wow classes running the background.

Now as it has been hot here in the UK i wanted more control over the fans so i installed some motherboard tools, and thats the only change i made to my pc software/mobo/hardware wise in the past 3 weeks I dont know if this is a coicidence or not.

I realy dont know what else to try, i dont know if its USB issues or GPU problems. But going almost a month with 0 problems im starting to think its some sort of funky driver issue.

HERES A DUMP View of the latest crash It seems to line up with the time it crashes ive never had a BSOD jsut freezes so

HyEuEtS.png

And last night
Y1dYpl0.png

Heres the mem dump file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JoZRVG8qNloGxoRZdoTElYSM1l1a3iKc/view?usp=sharing

PC SPECS:
5950X.
Gigabyte X570 MASTER
Ram : Team Group RIPPED Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C14 3600MHz (TDPPD416G3600HC14CDC01) x2
RTX 2080TI
PSU: 850W Corsair RM850I.

Any help/advice would be hugley apreciated, i realy dont know what else to try : ( Thanks!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Second screenshot going to be GPU drivers, 99% I see DirectX in a BSOD its GPU drivers

So if problems only started after
Now as it has been hot here in the UK i wanted more control over the fans so i installed some motherboard tools, and thats the only change i made to my pc software/mobo/hardware wise in the past 3 weeks I dont know if this is a coicidence or not.
What programs did you install?
Motherboard tools?
Any from Gigabyte? Easytune? Game Boost?

I don't think Easy tune touches GPU, it doesn't seem too - https://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html
think same applies to game boost.

I don't see any there that control fans?

I will ask a friend to convert your dumps so I can read results.

Jul 23, 2021
Hey thanks for the reply, I installed APP Center EZ tune and then System Information Viewer, System Information Viewer is the one that allows you to control your fans. Thanks for asking your friend! I look forward to a reply!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/v68sm534/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:MEMORY.DMP (Jul 23 2021 - 12:42:20)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

Motherboard: X570 AORUS MASTER
There are multiple revisions of your motherboard. I don't know which revision that you have.
Revision 1 page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf
Revision 1.1 and 1.2 page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-11-12/support#support-dl
You are using BIOS version F33. There MAY be a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
System Information Viewer is the one that allows you to control your fans.
i had that, I obviously ignored the fan part.. probably as mine aren't pwm fans and show as 0 speed.

some crashes never tell you the driver to blame
some do... you lucky...
ffffee054904f570 fffff8037329a3be : ffff8000d29ec240 ffffab85b4220000 ffffee054904fb60 ffff8000d29e9180 : nvlddmkm+0x887ae

could be gigabyte was just a coincidence
not sure why I didn't suggest this yesterday
Run ddu in safe mode and reinstall GPU drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Jul 23, 2021
Ok, im an absalute r-tard. Ive been using bios versions for rev 1.0, my mobo is 1.2 Going to swap to that bios now and see if the problems fix themselfs! Thanks for the help. Ill post back with any news asap <3

Colif

Win 11 Master
The last bsod was pretty clear.

being on right bios helps but I don't think it would have been cause of the DirectX errors.

I doubt there is a great difference between the 2 revisions, the board itself isn't that old. Curious what changed really.

I have an Aorus X570 Elite WIFI but so far no revisions of it. I better watch but tbh I don't need to change bios so I won't. If it works, why fix it.

Jul 23, 2021
Ok, I just had the strangest of crashes now, my mouse started to lagg out then i heard the USB unplug sound, then my monitors turned off and back on then 5 seconds later mouse freezes and monitors turn off but i could still heards for aorund 10 seconds. I guess I could try to DDU again, but this will be the third time :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
How old is the mouse? What is the oldest part of the system? what other USB do you have?

3 years ago I had a problem where my GPU would just stop working and turn screen off. I wasn't getting any BSOD so it made it difficult to determine the cause. This went on for 3 months, we replaced GPU drivers a few times, we tried everything mods here could think of to figure out cause. I even had PC tested by a 3rd party to make sure it wasn't hardware. It didn't crash the entire time they had it. I get pc back, plug in mouse and suddenly its back to crashing again... so then I remembered, the 1st time it crashed I heard the USB D/C noise but it didn't seem to mean anything and how can USB devices crash GPU?

Easy. Both of the devices are controlled by the PCI Bus on motherboard.
zr44Q7i.jpg

So if one is slowly dying and doesn't always respond to the PC and causes other things to crash, it can take a long time to figure out which it was. My mouse started to not turn rgb off on shutdown but only after i knew it was likely cause. It was 9 years old, I should have replaced before but i liked it and it worked... or had.

Now oldest part of my system is the speakers and they are about 4 years old. My previous speakers caused windows to just not load right after a while, so older parts can become problems even if they always worked before.

Jul 23, 2021
Hey, Like I said in my original post, unplugging most USB devices did seem to fix it for a around 3 days, but could be coicidence. Since then though ive had these crashes.. pc locks up and moving my mouse would result in a system beeps through my speakers, I was trying to show a friend new world, I had a freeze 5 mins in. rebooted tried again freeze, i could reproduce the freeze in new world allmost like clockwork several times, This is the only time ive managed to recreate the freeze by playing a game. But every time my pc freezes there is now NO memory dump, and i have NEVER had a BSOD. Thanks for your time guys i feel we are getting closer : ) The oldest part of my setup is my keyboard which is a corsair K95 platinum, my mouse is around 1.5 years old and is a xtrfy m4

Colif

Win 11 Master
New world already known to kill GPU and its in Beta so could be buggy there too. Does it happen in any other games?

Windows doesn't freeze, its not its style. It will create a BSOD and restart, but freezing is a sign its hardware.
I see this remark but nothing in op to suggest why you thought it was USB then
i dont know if its USB issues or GPU problems.
what made you think it was USB then? I only thought of it when you mentioned the beeps. Had you heard them before?

if it is random for most part, in that you can go weeks without a problem, that too was a feature of my problem. I only realised it was the mouse eventually as I remember bumping mouse, hearing beeps and screen turning off first time, and obviously looking at result and thinking its GPU. I didn't know about the linkage between USB and GPU until someone explained it to me about I found it was the mouse... no one could figure out how a mouse can cause GPU to turn off... but its not just Mice. Its any USB.

Also, age doesn't necessarily be the cause, devices can become faulty at any stage. So could be keyboard, could be mouse. I don't actually known how to test it. It might show in windows error reporting.
You could open system information
in the left hand column,
under software environment
click on Windows Error Reporting.

this shows all errors that happen from time to time in windows, including the BSOD. It might not help, most of the errors here are one offs and work fine normally but it might maybe show if any USB is having problems.

the Components/Problem Devices column might help too but is rare.

The last dump seems to lack drivers, your PC was on for 17 hours when it crashed but its only showing 3 drivers as running which is unlikely. So dump was slightly corrupted. It had enough details to blame Nvidia though.

Do you use Icue to control the Keyboard? got latest version? latest is 4.13.223, unless its lying to me as usual.
can't say I heard of Xtrfy before - https://www.rtings.com/mouse/reviews/xtrfy/m4-rgb

Not sure how you test USB, one way is to use alternatives and see if freezes still occur.

Jul 23, 2021
Hey, thanks for the write up, well i only have mouse and keyboard plugged in atm so yes could be either, its such a crazy thing like u say : D, I mentioned usb because when this first started around 6 weeks ago i unplugged 5 or so usb devices and just left mouse and keyboard and this stopped the freezing ( back then i was freezing constantly every 10 mins or so, this halted it with no freezes for 3 days). And i totaly forgot that actualy i could replicate the freeze in the past in wow classic, once it started to freeze back then it did it around 6 or so times before i decided to mess with usb devices/reisntall drivers for random stuff. That calmed it down back then and i was able to raid that night iirc with no problems. TLDR, some times it freezes like clockwork in a game I can change one thing like a USB device or a driver update/reinstall and it will freeze then at some other random place. I will go forward with trying the other mouse, ill also get my keyboard software up to date or just remove it! thx

I also cant see anything of note in the Windows Error Reporting, and nothing at the time last night when i had the last crash/freeze.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows may not know why then. Event viewer likely shows an event 42 at times of the crash as it creates that after any unexpected restart. But if no bugchecks created, its not windows.

this relates to having multiple USB drives attached but we aren't sure if bug is actually fixed - https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-locates-root-cause-of-usb-issues-on-b550-x570-motherboards
According to article it was meant to be in the BIOS version prior to the one you have now - which I assume is F34. I only mention as you say you had more USB devices attached before. BTW, unattached devices can't cause problem so no need to look at them.

Jul 23, 2021
Ok new developments, I did a full day of gaming today with 0 problems, after i used DDU and isntalled GPU drivers from 2 versions ago. Anyways as I was sat here chilling before bed with youtube my pc froze. ONLY THIS TIME when my pc restarted it frooze on POST. Then when i restarted again it froze on windows logo startup??. So now im 99% sure its not a driver issue. I did freeze once before in bios when this first started but i just put that down to some random glitch/wierd thing.
So Im freezing in bios in POST and in windows startup. Its random where it freezes, desktop, gaming bios ive ran stress tests ida64 cinebench furmark no freezes. It hast to be a hardware fualt. Now how do i find out wtf it is : (
Im quite sure its not a bios setting as i have ran everythign from defualt to OC to custom safe voltages with no change in when or how it freezes.
Ergh I guess I should start with running just 1-2 sticks of ram...

Edit:. I just lost display signal IN BIOS but the keyboard was still letting me turn caps on and off so not a totaly hard lockup but losing display signal is bios wtf?
Edit: 3 times now ive lost display signal in bios. Each time i could still make the bios funcation press F10 and enter to reboot while the screen was black..

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not windows. its hardware.

i think you need to get a repair store to look at PC, it might be the GPU since its not showing an image now and most BSOD were pointing at it. They can swap a GPU in and see if it still behaves same way. Can also test other parts as well. No need to jump to conclusions.

Jul 23, 2021
So, after putting in a 750 TI i noticed NO crashing what so ever for around a week. I put in my 2080ti and 2 weeks later no crash, Maybe it was a somthing with the pci-e slot/connection and reseating it again helped fixed my problem. I just upgraded to a 3080 TI FE and poped that in my custom loop its been 8 days now and not a single problem.

Thanks for all your help guys, problem is hope is now fixed.. CHECK ur <Mod Edit> is seated correctly/clean.

Last edited by a moderator: