[SOLVED] PC Freezing after a few mins of booting

Nov 21, 2022
I recently bought a CoolerMaster RGB LED Controller and I plugged it in, my front three fans were working but my CPU Cooler wasn't. I fully power down my pc and switch the ports from port 1 to port 3. This resulted in the controller releasing some smokes. Now whenever I boot into windows it loads my onto my desktop but after around 3 minutes it just freezes, I can move my mouse but if I try to shut down on the bottom left it just stays on the same screen. I than try Ctrl + Alt + Del and shut it down from there but that just puts me to a blank screen. So I then have to hold down the power button on my case.

I then booted into safe mode and nothing was freezing, I am currently thinking that this is a PSU issue and/or a HDD and SSD issue. Could it be as simple as cleaning the HDD and SSD physically or would I have to replace my whole psu. I will also say that I recently upgraded to a 3070 and a Ryzen 5 5600X and it has been working for about a month and as soon as I get this product from CoolerMaster it doesn't work. If you also have any suggestions for RGB hubs that wont smoke up please let me know. Kind of stressing out, but I am sure it will be fine

Solution
PSU: 550W Thermaltake Bronze
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit. What is the model of your Thermaltake PSU? As a side note, how old is the unit in question?

The controller you got will only work with RGB devices, if you hooked the ARGB fan into that controller as well, you killed it by doing so.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

for your predicament, we will also need the model to your RGB controller since Coolermaster have a number of them in their portfolio(and in their bundles as well). Include all the RGB devices you're working with in your build as well.

To also add, it'd serve purpose if you could include images of the connectors you're working with. The fact that you saw smoke is probably an indication that you plugged the right thing in the wrong port or in the wrong orientation.

Nov 21, 2022
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

for your predicament, we will also need the model to your RGB controller since Coolermaster have a number of them in their portfolio(and in their bundles as well). Include all the RGB devices you're working with in your build as well.

To also add, it'd serve purpose if you could include images of the connectors you're working with. The fact that you saw smoke is probably an indication that you plugged the right thing in the wrong port or in the wrong orientation.
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450m Gaming
Ram: 2x 8GB XPG
SSD/HDD: 500Gb Crucial p1 SSD, 4TB HDD
GPU: Aorus RTX 3070
Chassis: CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 OS:
Monitor: Philips 24' 144hz and Curved 37' Dell 50hz

I know the PSU is a bit weak compared with the other components but I really only play Val and Rocket League, with a bit of Assassins Creed Odyssey

The Case comes with 4 fans three at the front which are stock CoolerMaster fans with rgb and an outtake fan with no rgb, my cpu cooler is the Arctic Freezer a35 ARGB.

The Controller is this one, I followed the steps for it exactly connecting the USB to my MB and the SATA to provide power.

I unfortunately can't provide any images as I have packed up my PC to see if I can get it looked at. Just trying to get an idea of what could be wrong.

Sorry for the lack of clarification, hopefully this helps

Lutfij

Titan
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit, while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit. What is the model of your Thermaltake PSU? As a side note, how old is the unit in question?

The controller you got will only work with RGB devices, if you hooked the ARGB fan into that controller as well, you killed it by doing so.

Solution
Nov 21, 2022

OHHHHHHHHHHH
That makes sense I was under the impression that they were the same thing, my psu is ThermalTake Smart BX1 550W. Do you know what may have potentially bricked to cause the freezing, I think it could be the SSD/HDD, but you might have a better idea of what is going on.

DSzymborski

Titan
OHHHHHHHHHHH
That makes sense I was under the impression that they were the same thing, my psu is ThermalTake Smart BX1 550W. Do you know what may have potentially bricked to cause the freezing, I think it could be the SSD/HDD, but you might have a better idea of what is going on.

The PSU is a good place to start; it's an extremely junky, cheaply made, group-regulated PSU that should have never been connected to a 3070.

Reactions: Lutfij