[SOLVED] PC freezing after power outage

Mikefield_

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

There was a power outage today. When I started up my PC it seemed to be working fine but after about 5 minutes of gaming the screen froze completely and for good. I waited for 5 minutes and forced restart. Upon starting it up again (it went smoothly to the desktop, nothing out of the ordinary) the screen froze again within seconds (and failed to respond to the keyboard strokes and mouse - this always happens upon freezing). This instant freezing when reaching desktop persisted upon another restart.

I disconnected the PC to check whether it wasn't the failing power strip (it has surge protection) and re-connected the computer directly to the socket on the wall. Surprisingly, the PC did not freeze instantly but after I waited for ~10 minutes it did. It proceeded to freeze insantly upon restarting. Whenever it is disconnected from the power source and then reconnected ,the computer works for a few minutes and freezes; when it is restarted after a freeze, it freezes again insantly upon landing on the desktop. The user activity does not seem to matter after disconnecting it from the power source (it freezes when nothing is being done after some time), though any additional load (I tried launching a game) makes the PC work for even less time.

Now, I believe it would be feasible to assume it might be the failing PSU (4.5 years old) - is the disconnecting from power and reconnecting a good indicator of that? Can I rule out windows corruption given the above? The freezing does not occur on the Windows landing page (where I have to enter my PIN), it does freeze only when I do get to the desktop. As far as the possible diagnostics go, I checked the HDD with CrystalDeskInfo and it said 81% with no crucial diagnostics indicating any failures.

After the initial couple of freezes I attempted to run the Windows fix tool which has not changed anything.

Here are my specs:
Intel I-5 -4590
GeForce GTX 960 2 GGB DDR5
Asus Z97-C motherboard
ARC100 240 GB SATA HDD (SSD)
Corsair CX600M CP-9020060-EU PSU (600W)
Windows 10 OS

Any help much appreciated,
Mike