Question PC freezing after upgrading from 970 to 2080 super

Apr 4, 2020
I put together a new system and started with a 970 GPU and recently upgraded to a 2080 super.
AMD 3800X
X-570E Gaming MB
32 GB RAM
MSI 2080 SUPER

System was 100% stable with the 970 GPU installed did not have 1 crash in 3 months with it Put in 2080 Super and its obviously a ton faster, but system is no longer stable and it almost seems like it caused some kind of memory leak. The crashes happen usually within 24 hours, but over time the system becomes noticeably sluggish until it simply stops responding. Sometimes I can still get the system to reboot but other times it is simply locked on the OS screen and maybe the mouse moves a little bit after 30 seconds of waiting but I have to hard boot the system to get it to restart. The crashes don't necessarily happen while gaming but it did crash once while I was playing doom eternal. GPU has not seen a temp of above 70C and there are no heating issues with the system. I updated the BIOS after the first couple crashes and any other driver that I could find to update. The chipset driver was already up to date. I've read a few posts about using DDU and reinstalling the video card drivers after which I plan to try tonight, but none of the issues I've found so far seem to match mine in regards to how the system crashes. The DDU posts seem to revolved around gaming crashes, but mine seem to be time based. Does this sound like something doing DDU might fix or has anyone else seen an issue like this from installing a video card? It sure seems like a memory leak to me. The only thing I've installed since installing the video card is DOOM eternal and the Bethseda game launcher is running in the background which it wasn't previously.

Could you possibly provide the make and model of your power supply? Age as well?

Has it been upgraded when you replaced the GPU, or are you using the same PSU you have used with the GTX970?

There is a possibility that the PSU - depending on the specs- can play a role in the instability issues you are currently struggeling with

Apr 4, 2020
The PSU was purchased with the system 3 months ago as I had planned to upgrade the video card I bought a beefier power supply. Its a seasonsic Prime GX-850 (850W Gold Modular). I should mention also I normally leave this system on 24/7 prior to the upgrade and now. I run a low process game overnight called idle champions but the card is typically running around 40C or lower while this is running and the game hasn't caused problems with any other cards. Lately I've been rebooting the system around 7 PM when I get home and the last couple days it crashes around midday the next day(I run google remote desktop so I have a general idea when it stops working).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
Did you also download the latest drivers for the video card you purchased?

I did an update right after installing yes, but previously I did not use DDU or uninstall the old drivers just installed over the top. Last night I did DDU in safe mode reboot and then reinstalled the latest drivers. System is running with CPU/Memory monitor open so far so good although around midday is when it usually starts slowing down. Around 14-15 hours after reboot. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2020
Good. It always better to do a clean install for drivers on a new cpu/gpu that you have added or replaced in your build. Downloading over top of old drivers can cause booting issues and I've seen a gpu just completely shut off while running under load because of it.

Apr 4, 2020
I have to admit I was a skeptic that DDU would resolve my issue but sure enough here it is a few days later and the system has been up 72+ hours without any issues. It appears DDU did solve it. Thanks

Reactions: MatthewPav
Apr 4, 2020
So the issue didn't happen for about 5 days after installing DDU, but now its back to happening every couple days. I get the xxxx application was blocked from access graphics hardware for about 10 different applications when the issue occurs. I think I'm going to return the GPU. I only have about 9 days left to return it and I don't see any other option. My 970 work just fine in this rig with no crashes. 2080 super which is not overlocked just randomly freezes up the system. It works fine after a reboot and I can run high end games without crashing.. most of the time the crashes happen while the system is nearly idle. Either way unless someone has an idea that will fix this its going back tomorrow =/. Maybe i'll try a 2080 ti and see if it works better. Also a new update for my BIOS came out a few days ago and I installed it. The update even said stability improvements in the release notes, but still didn't fix this problem.