[SOLVED] PC freezing after upgrading several parts

Luleh

Prominent
Feb 13, 2021
Hello,
I upgraded server parts of my PC back when black priday happened in 2020 (CPU, RAM, Motherboard. CPU fan and case) and my PC has freezed several times since then. I have tried waiting for many minutes to see if the PC fixes itself, it does not. It can happen at any time, gaming, wathing videos or just having nothing up. The PC only freezes maybe 2 or 3 times a week, depending on how much i use it. This is usually how it goes;
Im playing a game on my main monitor (CS:GO, World of Warcraft or Dark Souls usually) and I have either Youtube or Twitch up on my second monitor. First the video or livestream stops and I get the spinning icon, I can still play my game on the main monitor for about 3 minutes before it freezes too. If i try to click anywhere outside the game the whole PC freezes. I can still move around my mouse but I cant use ALT+F4 or CTRL+ALT+DELETE or even use my windows button on my keyboard. The PC is still spinning like normally when this happens, so all I can really do is to manually restart it. Ive tried looking at the Windows logs but I do not really know what to look for so could not really find anything. Here are my PC parts:

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edt
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4
RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Case: Svive Halo S650 + Vertical Bracket + Cable
Main monitor: AOC 27" Curved gamingskärm C27G1
Second monitor: AOC 24" gamingskärm G2460PF
PSU: 500W
SSD: OCZTechnology SATA II 2.5 SSD (vertex series)
Harddrive: generic harddrive

I have tried the common fixes like updating drivers but I have not yet reinstalled my PC. The only reasons I can think of is pc parts not working together properly/damaged parts, some program i installed causing problems or a Windows bug. If you know a possible solution I would gladly hear that. I have no idea what to do or what is causing this problem and I dont know if i have listed all the neccesary information needed here.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The reason i dint list the PSU is because i couldnt find the name of it, also I would have to take it out of the case to even read the product name. I can do that if it is neccesary. The PSU is probably my oldest part, so that might be it, but wouldnt failure of power result in the PC turning itself off?
1)Please do.
2)Power offs aren't the only symptoms of a failing psu.

I have been thinking of reinstalling Windows as well, just take a lot of time and preperation, but will do that if it comes down to that.
Please do.
Back up the files on the C drive you want to keep before doing so, and unplug the secondary drive.
Install the latest motherboard drivers afterwards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No mention of having CLEAN INSTALLED Windows after a motherboard change.

It may be a pain in the butt, but you gotta flush out the old Windows registry files and drivers from your old hardware.

Im playing a game on my main monitor (CS:GO, World of Warcraft or Dark Souls usually) and I have either Youtube or Twitch up on my second monitor. First the video or livestream stops and I get the spinning icon, I can still play my game on the main monitor for about 3 minutes before it freezes too. If i try to click anywhere outside the game the whole PC freezes. I can still move around my mouse but I cant use ALT+F4 or CTRL+ALT+DELETE or even use my windows button on my keyboard. The PC is still spinning like normally when this happens, so all I can really do is to manually restart it. Ive tried looking at the Windows logs but I do not really know what to look for so could not really find anything.
I had a similar experience to that - minus the livestream stuff.
Replacing the psu fixed it on my end.

You've got an unlisted 500w psu: No one knows if it's decent, or junk, etc... don't leave out the make and model, please.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That OCZ Sata II ssd was really good when it was new, but now it's quite old, and somewhat slow in comparison to newer SSDs. It's also small, especially if you have the 60Gb version not the 120Gb version, so drive fill can be an issue if you have not left at least 10% or more free space. With its age, there will also be a question of health, just how much is really left and how much is getting corrupted or lost. The Sata II Vertex was reviewed in 2009.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Luleh

Prominent
Feb 13, 2021
No mention of having CLEAN INSTALLED Windows after a motherboard change.

It may be a pain in the butt, but you gotta flush out the old Windows registry files and drivers from your old hardware.

I had a similar experience to that - minus the livestream stuff.
Replacing the psu fixed it on my end.

You've got an unlisted 500w psu: No one knows if it's decent, or junk, etc... don't leave out the make and model, please.

The reason i dint list the PSU is because i couldnt find the name of it, also I would have to take it out of the case to even read the product name. I can do that if it is neccesary. The PSU is probably my oldest part, so that might be it, but wouldnt failure of power result in the PC turning itself off? I have been thinking of reinstalling my PC aswell, just take a lot of time and preperation, but will do that if it comes down to that,

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The reason i dint list the PSU is because i couldnt find the name of it, also I would have to take it out of the case to even read the product name. I can do that if it is neccesary. The PSU is probably my oldest part, so that might be it, but wouldnt failure of power result in the PC turning itself off?
1)Please do.
2)Power offs aren't the only symptoms of a failing psu.

I have been thinking of reinstalling Windows as well, just take a lot of time and preperation, but will do that if it comes down to that.
Please do.
Back up the files on the C drive you want to keep before doing so, and unplug the secondary drive.
Install the latest motherboard drivers afterwards.

Solution