Question PC freezing and all I/O stops functioning, including power and reset buttons.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
As title says, I have just recently reinstalled windows on this computer and now periodically whenever I start up my system, it boots as normal until it reaches the windows sign-in screen. As soon as I am prompted to enter my password, the system freezes and a couple seconds after, my monitors turn off along with all other peripherals attached to the computer. Unplugging and plugging them back in does not fix it, and the whole system becomes unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to turn off the power supply. Power and reset both do not work. I am worried that turning the computer off by turning off the power supply is not healthy for it. Any ideas on what is causing this/how to fix it?

System specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 @4.4 GHz
GPU: AMD RX 470 (4GB)
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(fx)
RAM: 8GB ddr3 1333 MHz
Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze

If even the power and reset buttons do not work then it means your system hardware is so unstable that even the motherboard's BIOS crashed. Those buttons work outside of any software--the motherboard monitors them.

First thing to try is to undo your overclock, and use a bootable memory testing utility (there's one on the Windows install media). It could be a memory stick died.

On the bright side you don't have any hardware that is damaged or wears when powering off at the PSU

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
If even the power and reset buttons do not work then it means your system hardware is so unstable that even the motherboard's BIOS crashed. Those buttons work outside of any software--the motherboard monitors them.

First thing to try is to undo your overclock, and use a bootable memory testing utility (there's one on the Windows install media). It could be a memory stick died.

On the bright side you don't have any hardware that is damaged or wears when powering off at the PSU
Will try this tomorrow. Thank you

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Sorry it took a couple days to respond, but I have undone my overclock and changed out my memory for a new set of RAM. Neither solutions worked, the problem persists. It only seems to be happening upon the first boot of the day. After restarting, it will boot fine.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Still needing help!! Today, after restarting (flipping off the psu and turning it back on again as usual), i got logged into windows and then had some insane artifacting occur before my displays turned off and then came back on again. Problem originally stated is still relevant, though, as I still don't have a fix.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
I don't think it is a GPU issue, as after restarting, all of these problems fix themselves. Although every morning when I initially turn on my PC, they come right back, the screen freezes, and then all inputs and outputs stop working. Gotta flip the PSU switch off and back on again to fix it.

Mehda

Commendable
Aug 11, 2019
Yes. The GPU I swapped to was an AMD Radeon R7 260X (some single fan MSI model, unsure which one). Installed the drivers and the problem still persists. I really don't think it is a GPU issue that is causing this.