Question PC freezing and BSOD have to manually restart

Oct 1, 2022
When I turn on the PC sometimes it will boot and manage to load windows and could use it for like about 5-10 minutes it is totally random, then it will freeze. Mouse and keyboard lights are on, pc rgb lights are also on but everything else is unresponsive. Tried waiting for about 10 minutes but its still unresponsive. cant move the mouse and keyboard is not working. I would then be forced to manually restart it by holding the power button until it would restart again. Sometimes it wouldn't even boot to windows it will just post the asrock logo and freeze.

Specs:

CPU: i7 2400
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti
RAM: Hyperx Fury Single 8gb DDR3 1333
Motherboard: AsRock H61M-VS4
PSU: CoolerMaster 650W
HDD: Seagate 500GB

I figured the problem would be the RAM as the previous ram i had were 2x4gb and they were at different brand and frequencies so i bought a new one which was the HyperX ram. But the problem still persists. It couldn't be the hard drive either because i checked it at crystaldisk and there were no errors and displayed as Good. The PSU was certainly not it because its supplying a decent amount of power and was fairly new and couldn't be bad. The temps were not bad too as I have a pretty decent cooler on my cpu they were 40-50 degrees on idle. Its also not overclocked.

One thing I suspect is the BIOS. I have an outdated version (1.30) and the current latest version is 1.40 but before i do that and update the bios which I've never done yet I'm open to suggestions on what the problem may be, outdates drivers and anything like that. I'm a bit nervous to updating the BIOS as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the bios has worked fine with the hardware until now and you didn't change anything, its unlikely to help
Is this windows 10?

BSOD normally cause a restart, they don't freeze PC up

Does it freeze up in safe mode?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
age of parts doesn't mean that they aren't to blame
The PSU was certainly not it because its supplying a decent amount of power and was fairly new and couldn't be bad. T
did you have the problem before replacing PSU?

Oct 1, 2022
Yes this is Windows 10

When I will boot it up and load it into windows it would freeze in 5-10 minutes when doing normal tasks like watching youtube or just being in idle. I tried to start up valorant but when it would load into the menu it will instantly freeze and I'd have to restart. It iust BSOD's when i will try to reboot the system again after the freeze and it displays a WHEA Uncorrectable Error. After that If i restart it again it would either post an asrock logo and freeze or it would manage to load in windows and the cycle repeats.

There were no problems with the PSU before but I had issues with my video card. An old FirePro W2100. It broke basically no display whatsoever and had to find a new graphics card. bought a Gtx 1050ti to replace it and the system worked. Deleted old adm drivers and installed new nvidia drivers. Tested it with playing apex and valorant, not the best frames per second but it was okay after a couple weeks of using it (gaming) then the freezing began. It started just freezing when in the middle of a match then to the point where I couldn't even load the game menu. Thought it would be the RAM, installed it and problem still persists.

So I tried it with safe mode and no BSOD or freezes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you have the problems before you replaced PSU? How long have you been getting WHEA errors for? what has been replaced since they started?

WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture
its an error called by the CPU but not necessarily caused by it, can be any hardware and sometimes drivers
can be caused by heat so clean any fans and heatsinks of dust.
Can be caused by overclocking, I don't think you can do it on your CPU anyway
can be caused by overclocking software such as MSI Afterburner, Intel Extreme Tuning
Can be fixed by updating BIOS but unlikely to fix on an old board. If everything worked for all this time with old bios, it won't suddenly want a new one.
Can sometimes be drivers

CPU: i7 2400
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti
RAM: Hyperx Fury Single 8gb DDR3 1333
Motherboard: AsRock H61M-VS4
PSU: CoolerMaster 650W
HDD: Seagate 500GB
so its probably not ram since replacing it didn't change anything

Try running Prime 95 from USB - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/

it will take a long time, it checks CPU, Ram & PSU.

Safe mode working could mean cause is Drivers OR the other reason... Safe mode doesn't stress hardware as much as normal mode so it could be hardware still. Its not a good test, but lets assume its drivers.

try running this on the hdd - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/
I normally suggest Seatools for Windows but you might want the bootable tool since PC randomly freezes.

while I wait for dump reports:
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Please take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here