Question PC freezing and buzzing after reapplying thermal paste and installing bad RAM (RAM has been removed)

themrsomedude456

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
My PC has been working flawlessly for over 2 years now. A few weeks ago I decided to buy 16gb of RAM for the PC as it was quite cheap on Amazon at the time. I got the same sticks of RAM that are currently in my PC. I also decided it would probably be a good idea to reapply the thermal paste on the cpu and a get a few extra case fans.

So I removed my cooler, cleaned the cpu with rubbing achohol, reapplyed the thermal paste (Noctua thermal paste), installed the new RAM and then put the cooler back on. Rear case fan was replaced, and the front fan was replaced by two 140mm fans. PC seemed fine initially.

Then I started to get crashes when playing games, chrome wasn't loading webpages (getting the 'aw snap' error) and eventually getting some BSOD's. So I ran memtest86 and sure enough 1 of the sticks of RAM had lots of errors. It was the 6th test if I remember correctly. I removed both new sticks of RAM, ran memtest again and no errors. Started up the PC and everything was running fine and has been running fine for a few weeks now. I just thought I must have got some bad RAM.

But now I have been getting some freezing and buzzing noises. The freeze lasts around half a second and the buzzing sound is the same sound as when you get a BSOD. It only appears to happen during gaming. My temperatures seem fine, CPU is better than ever. GPU does rev up sometimes when it goes past 80C. Chrome has recently been getting the 'aw snap' error quite often now.

My question is, what could the problem be? Is it a case of corrupt files? Reinstalling everything is a last resort and I wanted to check here before doing anything like that. I can't think of anything else and will be happy to provide any more information.

Specs
Ryzen 1700x
Asus x370 Prime-Pro
16gb Corsair 3200mhz ram (running at 2933mhz)
RTX 2080Ti
Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold PSU
Noctua NH D15
3 Noctua 140mm case fans
500gb 960 evo m.2 (OS)
1tb 860 evo
3tb Seagate Barracuda