PC Freezing and crashing randomly

FlashGuard

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
So this issue was random. First let me say the only OVERCLOCK ive done is my GPU.
A while back i was on my PC and it just froze. This was a month or so after i built it. Now when i built it i used a clean area, static strap, rubber insole shoes as well as hard floors. I did not want anything to mess the build up.

So after about a month the system started Freezing. No dust or anything. system was clean power was good. temps where around 30 Celsius and video was 52 Celsius.

It was a issue with a Nvidia driver. After a few weeks. The same thing happened. This time i updated the BIOS again like i did during build. updated all drivers. All after reformatting and installing windows 10 64bit.

Since then i had random freezes and nothing was causing it. I used Bluescreenviewer and Whocrashed to look into it further.

After a while i found it was the power. So i limited the CPU with a lower voltage and turned off Turbo Boost.

No crashes since.

A few weeks ago i put in a 800w. Since i was using a 650w. I got everything running turned on default settings in bios and placed it on performance mode. In an hour BAM frozen. Temps remain in 25-30 for system and cpu stays 35 and GPU stays around 60 - 65 while in game.

THIS IS NOT A DRIVER ISSUE, POWER ISSUE or COOLING ISSUE.

I am not sure if its the MOBO or the CPU. But like i said it only occurs WITH Turbo Boost active.... I have no idea why. Power consumption and temperatures are normal... its just ODD

Specs:

CPU:
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+

CASE:
DIYPC D480-W White Dual USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with Build-in 5 x Fans (2 x 120mm Blue LED)

GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 03G-P4-6162-KR, 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)

HEATSINK:
COOLER MASTER RR-212X-20PM-R1 120mm 4th Generation Bearing CPU Cooler

MOBO:
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

PSU:
RAIDMAX RX-800AE 800W ATX 12V v2.3/EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Non-Modular

RAM:
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Geekwad

Admirable
If you haven't done a memory test, definitely start here to rule it out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1906201/test-memory-memtest.html

https://www.lifewire.com/free-memory-test-programs-2626178

Aside from that, even though this isn't the most robust board in the world (I have one for a 8320e FX machine), if it cannot operate without crashing just using motherboard presets, then I'd consider an RMA if possible. Even though your power supply may be ruled out, power delivery can still be (and is notoriously difficult to diagnose).

If this is not possible (out of warranty period or whatever), then secondhand FX boards are very inexpensive (or you may possibly be able to catch clearance inventory somewhere.....and get a decent deal).

With FX chips being very 'end-of-life' though, if you didn't want to put any money towards it (understandable), you may have already discovered the solution. Undervolting to stability may be the best option, or otherwise fine-tuning:

http://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

Sometimes older BIOS may ironically offer some stability too. You could certainly experiment.

FlashGuard

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
ive done a memtest its normal. ive moved the ram from section A to section B as well. its not ram. it also occurs when idle or gaming. i cannot find a specific cause for teh actual freeze... or should i say deadlock