PC Freezing and refusing to boot - Faulty PSU?

sparksterdawg

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Edit; forgot OS. Windows 10 (64bit)
Specs:
Xigmatek Centauro 700w Bronze PSU
AMD FX9370
AMD Radeon R9 290x Stock
Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 DDR3 668Mhz RAM
Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Mobo
Samsung 470 59GB SSD (Where my windows is installed, if it matters.)
WD 1TB 10EZEX HDD

Hi! First time posting here, but I'm at a loss. My computer (which has functioned fine for well over a year or two) has been having issues lately, where it will completely freeze up and not respond in the slightest. The freezes don't follow any pattern and happen randomly, sometimes a day between, sometimes every few minutes. This requires me to shutdown the PC manually via power switch or the power button, and sometimes it doesn't turn on afterwards. The lights on my motherboard are on inside the case, and I can hear the hard drive spinning, but the PC does not start or show any signs of turning on. This doesn't fix unless I unplug the PC and turn the power switch on and off a few times - then it goes right back to freezing.

I've tried MemTest, which came up clean, and I've ruled out CPU overheating. My GPU reaches quite high temps and sometimes shuts my PC but I know this is unrelated - thought it best to point this out though.

Could it be a faulty PSU? If not, how do I remedy this issue? It's rendered my Gaming PC unusable.

Solution
We'll AMD recommend a minimum of 850w when running any FX9xxx and that so called 700w can actually only deliver 600w on the 12v rail. Although the quality of the psu seems reasonable from a review I found. I'd say it is possible that an over stressed psu is dying, only way to know is trying another. Not being able to turn on again after shutting down is typical of a psu or motherboard issue.
We'll AMD recommend a minimum of 850w when running any FX9xxx and that so called 700w can actually only deliver 600w on the 12v rail. Although the quality of the psu seems reasonable from a review I found. I'd say it is possible that an over stressed psu is dying, only way to know is trying another. Not being able to turn on again after shutting down is typical of a psu or motherboard issue.

Solution

sparksterdawg

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Turns out, the PSU was definitely faulty. The PSU Cable connecting to the Motherboard had MELTED, and we had to DIY carve off the melted plastic on the connector to the motherboard to fit a new PSU.

i've never seen anything like it ???