[SOLVED] PC freezing at game startup after installing new CPU

Jan 14, 2021
I recently switched from an i3-8100 to an i7-9700k and I installed everything correctly with thermal paste application and I reinput the CPU cooler perfectly. I booted up my PC which first time boot showed a blue screen saying there was a problem with startup. I clicked continue to Windows and everything was fine at the start. I checked my PC Specs and Windows had correctly Identified my i7-9700k. Until, the fan speeds kept going up and down, fast and slow, in very inconsistent patterns. If I opened a program the fan speed would shoot up for a few seconds, and every now and then it would go super fast for a while. I monitored my CPU's temp using MSI Afterburner, and with nothing else open it was sitting around 60-65, and on some cases it would just shoot up to 70. I decided to try a VR game as the i7 is reccommended for VR, but the second I launched the game, my headset crashed, the PC froze and wouldn't respond to anything. I had to hold the power button to power it off. I rebooted and launched rocket league which worked fine, but something just felt off. From then my PC would keep going loud on the fans and crashing on some games, so I just switched back to my i3 for now (which works fine). I have requested a return on the i7 thinking it could be something to do with my PSU not being powerful enough, but I'm not sure. I have 14 days to return it but if someone could diagnose and give me a fix to my issue that'd be great. Thanks.

Solution
Not sure if that's the issue as my CPU stays around 65 degrees C? Isn't that fine? And surely my pc wouldn't freeze because of overheating, it would just turn off?
Did you use the cooler that came with the 8100, the stock Intel cooler the 9700K doesn't come with one.

When the temp gets to high the CPU will throttle down not cut off the PC. If your using a low budget motherboard the power delivery could not be able to handle the 9700K.

Run a stress test on the CPU(Google how) and see what your temps are.

Your temps are already way to high for not doing anything.

Edit you need a lot better cooler.
Jan 14, 2021
what the cpu cooler?
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
CPU cooler is just the stock one that came with my prebuilt (Small pretty suckish intel stock cooler).
PSU not sure what model but I'm pretty sure it's 250 or 500 watts (sorry).

SPECS:
GTX 1050TI 4GB
Current Old CPU: i3-8100
16gb DDR4
PRIME ASUS H310M-A MOTHERBOARD (LGA 1151 CPU slot)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure if that's the issue as my CPU stays around 65 degrees C? Isn't that fine? And surely my pc wouldn't freeze because of overheating, it would just turn off?
Did you use the cooler that came with the 8100, the stock Intel cooler the 9700K doesn't come with one.

When the temp gets to high the CPU will throttle down not cut off the PC. If your using a low budget motherboard the power delivery could not be able to handle the 9700K.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

I monitored my CPU's temp using MSI Afterburner, and with nothing else open it was sitting around 60-65, and on some cases it would just shoot up to 70.

It's totally the issue. My 10900k sits around 22-25C with nothing else open.

As others have said... it's your cooler... (and motherboard)

Jan 14, 2021

Do you suggest a better motherboard and cooler then?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Do you suggest a better motherboard and cooler then?
Yes.
At the very least a Hyper 212 personally I would buy a better cooler than that. The motherboard although it says supports the processor is not really designed to.

The 9700K reaches about a 125 watt power draw under load the 8100 cooler has no chance of cooling that.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

EDIT that is part of the problem with a prebuilt PC they tend to use the cheapest crap they can get or built for them building the PC.
Now that you said prebuilt I would even question the power supply also.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021
Yes.
At the very least a Hyper 212 personally I would buy a better cooler than that. The motherboard although it says supports the processor is not really designed to.

The 9700K reaches about a 125 watt power draw under load the 8100 cooler has no chance of cooling that.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/21

EDIT that is part of the problem with a prebuilt PC they tend to use the cheapest crap they can get or built for them building the PC.
Now that you said prebuilt I would even question the power supply also.
Thanks so much for the help, I've decided I'm just going to build a new PC altogether. It's gonna have an i9 with a 3070 so I'm pumped about that. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, Asus says the H310 mainboard supports a 9700K....; naturally, one likely will not get MCE options and/or overclocking, but, let's not assume that just because it's not a Z370/390 that it will not handle a 9700K running Intel-intended specs/clock speeds.

I'd try a decent cooler first, then a fresh install...see what temps and clock speeds are afterward... (as you see above, even the 10900K is not quite the massive jump over a 9700K in frame rates that most would think it is, even at 1080P...)

Jan 14, 2021
For what it is worth, Asus says the H310 mainboard supports a 9700K....; naturally, one likely will not get MCE options and/or overclocking, but, let's not assume that just because it's not a Z370/390 that it will not handle a 9700K running Intel-intended specs/clock speeds.

I'd try a decent cooler first, then a fresh install...see what temps and clock speeds are afterward... (as you see above, even the 10900K is not quite the massive jump over a 9700K in frame rates that most would think it is, even at 1080P...)
--UPDATE--
I bought a new motheraboard, CPU, cooler and power supply, and everything is working fine. Thank you. Just having some issues using my Oculus Rift S PC Powered VR Headset. I think the USB's on the new motherboard are incompatible or something. I've updated the BIOS but is there anything I can do to fix it? I am also getting static audio on the headset and Oculus support sucks.