Question PC freezing at motherboard splash screen when GPU is plugged in

Sep 18, 2022
my PC keeps freezing at the motherboard splash screen when booting IF a gpu is plugged in. I've tried 3 different gpus and the same thing happens every time. When no gpu is plugged in (running off integrated GPU) it works just fine. The locking thing for the GPU slot is completely broken off. Is it possible my pcie slot on my motherboard just broke? do I need to replace the mobo? or could all 3 of my gpus be broken

I've already tried multiple different ram sticks, took out cmos battery, and tried an entirely different psu same outcome.

i7 7700k

What is the model of the "other PSU" you tried to use, and how old is THAT unit?

Most likely you are correct in assuming that along with the broken PCIe lock, there is probably some other damage to the PCIe slot since it happens with three graphics cards and two different power supplies, but let's ask the questions first and not jump to that conclusion until we've at least eliminated the most common potential issues and it would not be very uncommon for there to be a problem with multiple power supplies or for one of them to simply not have the necessary capacity.

What is the motherboard model?

Reactions: NickPCW
Sep 18, 2022
What is the model of the "other PSU" you tried to use, and how old is THAT unit?

Most likely you are correct in assuming that along with the broken PCIe lock, there is probably some other damage to the PCIe slot since it happens with three graphics cards and two different power supplies, but let's ask the questions first and not jump to that conclusion until we've at least eliminated the most common potential issues and it would not be very uncommon for there to be a problem with multiple power supplies or for one of them to simply not have the necessary capacity.

What is the motherboard model?
Seasonic S12III 500w 80 bronze, been using for 2 years

gigabyte b365m ds3h is the motherboard

Also, I went to my friend's house and tested my gpus and those are 100% fine.

S12III is a poor quality unit not even made by Seasonic. It's made by RSY and I wouldn't use one even to power an iGPU system unless I had no other choices.

An 8 year old Capstone, good as it was when new, is also quite a stretch. At five years old that unit was at the end of it's warranty so three years beyond that is probably really pushing it, or already passed where it can be pushed.

But, since that board has no other x16 slots to try the cards in, and since it's impossible to say outright that the power supplies are the issue, I'd be inclined to go after the board first especially since you already KNOW it has problems with the PCIe lock being broken and potentially might have other problems with it as well stemming from whatever happened during the installation that broke the lock.

Reactions: NickPCW
Sep 18, 2022
S12III is a poor quality unit not even made by Seasonic. It's made by RSY and I wouldn't use one even to power an iGPU system unless I had no other choices.

An 8 year old Capstone, good as it was when new, is also quite a stretch. At five years old that unit was at the end of it's warranty so three years beyond that is probably really pushing it, or already passed where it can be pushed.

But, since that board has no other x16 slots to try the cards in, and since it's impossible to say outright that the power supplies are the issue, I'd be inclined to go after the board first especially since you already KNOW it has problems with the PCIe lock being broken and potentially might have other problems with it as well stemming from whatever happened during the installation that broke the lock.

Okay, thank you so much! I had no idea that PSU wasn't made from seasonic. I'll replace or try another motherboard and if that doesn't work I'll replace the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS