Question PC freezing but not in stress tests ?

Jan 3, 2022
Hey all,

I've been having freezing issues with a PC I bought this summer, basically since day one. It will freeze, usually when gaming (especially if it is a more demanding game) or rarely when doing something regular like browsing the web. I've tried plenty of stress test tools and none have managed to cause a crash. I'm a bit hesitant to send it to the repair shop as it basically seems to be fine, most of the time.

There is one particular game that will freeze the PC in less than 30 minutes quite consistently though. When the PC freezes, the keyboard is unresponsive, the image locks up and won't do anything until I manually reset it. The PC acts like usual when reset and when frozen it isn't making any extra sound or anything from fans.

Sometimes I can go days without a freeze and then it'll randomly happen. The only consistent thing I can see is that more demanding titles seem to cause it more often. Temperatures are not unusually high when it freezes though.
The Reliability Monitor only shows that Windows was unexpectedly shut down. No crash or bluescreen or log.

Here's what I've tried so far with no luck:
  • Reformatted Windows twice (running 11 now)
  • Uninstalled and tried several different GPU driver versions (5+ versions)
  • Moved the RAM sticks around different slots, removed one, then the other.
  • Moved the GPU to the second PCI-E slot
  • Flashed BIOS
  • Reset CMOS by removing the Motherboard battery for 5 minutes
  • System file check, several times
  • A number of different stress test and error check tools: None find anything or seem to cause any crash
  • Updated all drivers, reinstalled and installed them too
  • Underclocked the GPU as far as possible
  • Tried a number of BIOS settings like XMP, PCI to Gen 1/2/3. No dice.
  • Windows update
What's really confusing here is that I would have assumed that if it was a hardware issue, I'd be getting some kind of log. The PC also isn't powering off, which has me feeling it may not be the PSU. But at this point, any ideas are very welcome.

Thank you kindly.

Specs (no overclocking done):
i9-10900k @ 3.7ghz
GTX 3070ti
32GB DDR4 RAM (2 sticks)
Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022
Update: I tried both Heaven benchmark and every single test in BurninTest (including combining both benchmark tools at the same time). It just won't make the PC freeze - super strange.

What is the game that freezes .
Start up a game you know will crash and time how long it takes to crash.
Next turn all the graphics settings and effects either off or as low as possible even if it looks rubbish.
Next turn each setting up bit by bit and see if the game crashes , make a note of the things you keep altering.

Jan 3, 2022
Run memtest86 from a USB stick. It'll take a while.

Tried it, no issues discovered.

What is the game that freezes .
Start up a game you know will crash and time how long it takes to crash.
Next turn all the graphics settings and effects either off or as low as possible even if it looks rubbish.
Next turn each setting up bit by bit and see if the game crashes , make a note of the things you keep altering.

It isn't just the same game, but it crashes pretty consistently in Star Citizen, regardless of settings. I've also had it crash just when browsing YouTube or when playing something older like Fallout 3 - but it happens much less frequently in those scenarios.

Jan 3, 2022
Tried reformatting to Windows 10 instead of 11, still crashed but now got an error code in the Reliability monitor:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 124
Parameter 1: 7
Parameter 2: ffffdb017f220030
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19044
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 8192

Anyone know what this means?

Also got a minidump:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dz2PKVEXcJzo1UXvxK65ArSle7A0o791/view?usp=sharing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts