PC freezing caused by GPU?

Mark Wyton

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I have just swapped out 2x gtx 970 in sli for an rtx 2080 and have since had my PC freeze with a buizzing sound a few times. I have also had to reset my PC due to a stop code error followed by another error which i cant remember the name of. Anyway i have reset my pc and reinstalled some applications etc and i have just had the dreaded buzzing sound freeze again. I can only think this is due to the new GPU as i never had this problem before.
Please excuse the next noob question!
I removed the 2x6 pins from the 970's and installed the 2080 by inserting the 2x6 pins into the 2080 with a 2 pin that was there next to it (it requires a 6+8pin). I bought this PC built from chillblast as i know nothing about building them myself. I had assumed that this was fine to do and the 2 pin that was next to it was tied off and plugged into the psu. I was told by a friend that if it was extra 2 pin was plugged in it would work and if it wasn't p[lugged into the psu it simply wouldn't turn on, so it wouldnt matter if i tried it and the extra 2 pin wasnt connected to the psu.
Can someone please confirm that this is correct? Im using a 750watt psu and find id hard to believe that a 280 is drawing so much more its causing issues. Sorry if i have butchered the explanation.
Cheers, Mark.

Mark Wyton

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
No, however since i reset my i had no old nvidia drivers in it at all and it has happened again. I have downloaded the latest one and it froze again about an hour ago. I reset it yesterday. I was running world of warcraft and had youtube running on another monitor at the time. Not sure if that is relevant or not.