Question PC freezing/crashing after fresh windows install

May 8, 2022
I will provide all the context i can, i apologize for the essay but thank you so much to anyone reading this. A few weeks ago my pc was regularly dropping internet and the only solution i found was to unplug the Cat6 cable and plug in a new one. Every other device in my home had no connection issue. I would spend my day rotating between 3 cables each time internet dropped. In trying to solve this issue I ran a lot of scans and cleanups which seemed to solve the issue while creating a new one, suddenly almost no Microsoft apps would work.

I couldn't open Cortana, calculator, windows store, movies & TV, the list goes on but all windows store apps. I reset windows and no fix for the windows apps problem, but interent connection is now holding all day long. Yesterday I did a fresh install of windows on my SSD, there is a second hard drive, a HDD that was once my main harddrive. I only use it to store files now, though it does hold an older copy of windows from when I had an older mobo and cpu. I haven't booted to this in years.

After my new windows install yesterday my windows apps are back and running. I install a handful of software to game for the day, discord, valorant, steam, and rocket league. My GeForce experience drivers are up to date, so are my mobo drivers but 20 minutes into a valorant game my PC freezes. I can't do anything, both monitors are frozen, I can't move my mouse or open anything via keyboard shortcuts so I'm forced to shut down with the power button on my tower.

This happened again later in the day, a few hours later, so it seems to me there's still an underlying issue. Valorant and discord were the only applications running at the time. Because of my internet issues in the past ive felt my mobo may be the issue, so I'm considering getting a new mobo, cpu, and windows. Before I do that I'm wondering if I'm not diagnosing this correctly. I'd hate to spend hundreds of dollars to find out it was my GPU or SSD. Thank you so much to anyone who read this far.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro (MS-7B79)
Ram: 16GB corsair vengeance LPX
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
GPU: EVGA 2080ti
PSU: Corsair AX850
Chassis: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case
OS: Windows 10 Home x64 Version: 10.0. 19044 Build 19044
Monitor: ASUS 27" 1080p 144Hz

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the unit, what is the model of said unit? How old is the PSU in your build? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? Where did you source the installer for Windows 10? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Check to see if you have any firmware updates pending for your SSD. As for your drivers for the platform, did you let the OS download and install the drivers or did you manually install relevant drivers?

Reactions: Soxinbx
May 8, 2022

Corsair is the brand of the unit, what is the model of said unit? How old is the PSU in your build? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? Where did you source the installer for Windows 10? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Check to see if you have any firmware updates pending for your SSD. As for your drivers for the platform, did you let the OS download and install the drivers or did you manually install relevant drivers?

Thank you for your response. My PSU is Corsair AX850 but I will edit my post to list each as you suggested. This PSU is less than a year old. When you say "where did you source the installer" I'm not sure what you mean, I apologize. I used an ISO file I got from Windows support a few days ago that I put on a USB. Bios Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1.40 6/26/18. Windows 10 64 Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044. 1288).

I will research if my SSD has firmware updates, I was not aware I needed to be doing this. The drivers were manually installed by me. Thank you for taking your time to try to help me, I'll be editing the original post now so they're listed more cleanly.

Edit: I have since downloaded Samsung magician and there was a firmware update available so I ran that update, do you think this is likely to solve my issue? I likely won't be able to run games to test until tomorrow.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I was again able to test it tonight after updating the firmware for my SSD and the same problem persists. The PC seems to operate fine when everything is at low usage but during games it freezes occasionally and I have to press the physical button on the case to turn it off. If I try to do too many things while the PC is starting the same thing happens, it freezes and I have to force a shutdown. Thank you for the time you've taken already, I hope you had a nice weekend.