Question PC Freezing/Crashing

Mar 30, 2022
Hello there,

unfortunately I have a problem here(whit a long story :/) that I'm totally despairing of now, I'm grateful for any help:

It all started with my PC not really shutting down in the evening when I shut it down, monitor was off, but the fans kept running(I waited 5-10 min), I then had to turn it off via hard reset, this happened about 1-2x a week. A few days/weeks later than I had freezes while gaming, this then happened mostly 2-3 per week, sometimes 2x a day, sometimes a few days break, so far only when playing (Dead by Daylight & Beyond Two Souls), mostly only after several hours (~2-7hours), 1x when starting, and sometimtes i can play for hours without any issues.

Here's what happens: First the screen freezes, the sound goes away too, then I get no signal on the monitor, mouse & keyboard light goes off too, but the fans keep running, I then have to reboot the PC via hard reset & it runs normally again.

My Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 2600
MB: B450 AORUS ELITE
GPU: Asus Strix Vega 56
RAM: 4x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666
PSU: BeQuit PurePower L8 730 W Bronze/EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5
SSD: 1x M2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2x Sata SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Crucial MX500 1TB)

At first, I suspected the graphics card or the power supply. I then updated the graphics card driver, removed via DDU (Safe mode), tried an older driver, recommended driver and the beta driver, nothing helped.
Checked the temperatures, CPU mostly at 60°, max 65°, graphics card mostly at 65-75°, max 80°. BIOS update, also no improvement. Which is why I then replaced the PSU with the EVGA, since mine was from 2014, unfortunately no improvement.
Then I checked the Windows reliability monitor, there was sometimes a "hardware error". The associated dumps said:
9x VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)
One of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.
4x VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP (193)
Livedumps triggered by dxgkrnl

Then I did some digging in the windows event viewer, every time I got a crash I found ID 41 & ID 172 "Connectivity state in standby: disconnected, reason: NIC compliance" don't know if this i something normal or not, but the first time this happened was 21.11.2021. Then I looked at that date and found WHEA Logger 17
"A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)" this happened 30x times in a few seconds and never again, but it looks like it started with that.

What I also noticed was that I sometimes have a 41 in the event viewer, even though the PC shut down normally the night before.
I did several stress tests, Prime95, memtest86(2/4 tests without error, stopped it then), 3D Mark, OCCT every single test, with OCCT VRAM Test I got errors, since my video card still had a few days warranty, I sent it in & while that I've used my cousin's old video card, a GTX960, used it for about 6 days, no problems. After the 6 days the package came back from Asus, with a replacement, on a note it said "Linux Diag Test failed with error codes", since they had no more parts, I got a replacement, same model, it wasn't brand new since it had minimal signs of use, but with that I thought it was done.

And nope, it wasn't a few days later I noticed that my screen froze for a few seconds, checked windows reliability monitor, and again 2-3 "Hardware-Errors" and the dumps said again:
3xVIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP (193)

And a few days after that, another crash...I was going crazy. Tried another round of testing, prime95, cinebench, OCCT, nothing, even the VRAM test was with no error this time, so there was really an issue with my old one.

Then I decided to reinstall Windows to exclude any driver errors or a faulty windows. And had another crash, someone told me I got Debug LED's on my MoBo, but I always forgot to look at them, this time I looked at them, the CPU and DRAM LED's flashing alternately, which surprised me because I was sure it will be the VGA LED. But when I started my pc again, I saw there was a dump created in the livekernelreports/watchdogs, this said:
VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)

So, my mobo says it's CPU/dram, and windows says it's something with the GPU/drivers(?)

I've tried then the AMD GPU Driver for Enterprise, but today I've again got that screen freeze with a Hardware error in the windows reliability monitor and again, the dump said:
VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP (193)

I'm really not sure what that flashing CPU/dram want to tell me, and why every single dump it about the GPU, I mean, I didn't had any issues with an GTX 960, but it isn't that powerful like my Vega, I had to play Dead by daylight on medium, instead of ultra. But could it really be the exchanged GPU, exactly the same issue like with the old one? I don't know what else I should do/can try x.X I hope anyone can help me with that. Sorry for my bad English, I'm a native German speaker.

I've uploaded a few screenshots and dumps, (the 2 after the reinstallt and the 3 old ones before I've reinstalled windows), maybe there is someone who can read something out of those: Google Drive

Hello there,

unfortunately I have a problem here(whit a long story :/) that I'm totally despairing of now, I'm grateful for any help:

It all started with my PC not really shutting down in the evening when I shut it down, monitor was off, but the fans kept running(I waited 5-10 min), I then had to turn it off via hard reset, this happened about 1-2x a week. A few days/weeks later than I had freezes while gaming, this then happened mostly 2-3 per week, sometimes 2x a day, sometimes a few days break, so far only when playing (Dead by Daylight & Beyond Two Souls), mostly only after several hours (~2-7hours), 1x when starting, and sometimtes i can play for hours without any issues.

Here's what happens: First the screen freezes, the sound goes away too, then I get no signal on the monitor, mouse & keyboard light goes off too, but the fans keep running, I then have to reboot the PC via hard reset & it runs normally again.

My Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 2600
MB: B450 AORUS ELITE
GPU: Asus Strix Vega 56
RAM: 4x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666
PSU: BeQuit PurePower L8 730 W Bronze/EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5
SSD: 1x M2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2x Sata SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Crucial MX500 1TB)

At first, I suspected the graphics card or the power supply. I then updated the graphics card driver, removed via DDU (Safe mode), tried an older driver, recommended driver and the beta driver, nothing helped.
Checked the temperatures, CPU mostly at 60°, max 65°, graphics card mostly at 65-75°, max 80°. BIOS update, also no improvement. Which is why I then replaced the PSU with the EVGA, since mine was from 2014, unfortunately no improvement.
Then I checked the Windows reliability monitor, there was sometimes a "hardware error". The associated dumps said:
9x VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)
4x VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP (193)

Then I did some digging in the windows event viewer, every time I got a crash I found ID 41 & ID 172 "Connectivity state in standby: disconnected, reason: NIC compliance" don't know if this i something normal or not, but the first time this happened was 21.11.2021. Then I looked at that date and found WHEA Logger 17
"A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)" this happened 30x times in a few seconds and never again, but it looks like it started with that.

What I also noticed was that I sometimes have a 41 in the event viewer, even though the PC shut down normally the night before.
I did several stress tests, Prime95, memtest86(2/4 tests without error, stopped it then), 3D Mark, OCCT every single test, with OCCT VRAM Test I got errors, since my video card still had a few days warranty, I sent it in & while that I've used my cousin's old video card, a GTX960, used it for about 6 days, no problems. After the 6 days the package came back from Asus, with a replacement, on a note it said "Linux Diag Test failed with error codes", since they had no more parts, I got a replacement, same model, it wasn't brand new since it had minimal signs of use, but with that I thought it was done.

And nope, it wasn't a few days later I noticed that my screen froze for a few seconds, checked windows reliability monitor, and again 2-3 "Hardware-Errors" and the dumps said again:
3xVIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP (193)

And a few days after that, another crash...I was going crazy. Tried another round of testing, prime95, cinebench, OCCT, nothing, even the VRAM test was with no error this time, so there was really an issue with my old one.

Then I decided to reinstall Windows to exclude any driver errors or a faulty windows. And had another crash, someone told me I got Debug LED's on my MoBo, but I always forgot to look at them, this time I looked at them, the CPU and DRAM LED's flashing alternately, which surprised me because I was sure it will be the VGA LED. But when I started my pc again, I saw there was a dump created in the livekernelreports/watchdogs, this said:
VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141)

So, my mobo says it's CPU/dram, and windows says it's something with the GPU/drivers(?)

I've tried then the AMD GPU Driver for Enterprise, but today I've again got that screen freeze with a Hardware error in the windows reliability monitor and again, the dump said:
VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP (193)

I'm really not sure what that flashing CPU/dram want to tell me, and why every single dump it about the GPU, I mean, I didn't had any issues with an GTX 960, but it isn't that powerful like my Vega, I had to play Dead by daylight on medium, instead of ultra. But could it really be the exchanged GPU, exactly the same issue like with the old one? I don't know what else I should do/can try x.X I hope anyone can help me with that. Sorry for my bad English, I'm a native German speaker.

I've uploaded a few screenshots and dumps, (the 2 after the reinstallt and the 3 old ones before I've reinstalled windows), maybe there is someone who can read something out of those: Google Drive
I would get fresh ram the error codes from mem86 says you have a issue with you ram

Mar 30, 2022
Ahh alright, if you can post a link to your results from userbenchmark. That maybe able to help us
Sure: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51616080

But at the moment I've deactivated "Core Performance Boost" on my bios, to look if this makes a change.
Also, I've never done Overclocking or used/using XMP. Furthermore, forgot to mention that I got an 500 GB HDD, but there is just "Uno" on it, almost doesn't use it.

Mar 30, 2022
do this use the m2 for os no other drive in system and 1 ram stick then put gpu in the second slot then test system for any debug led you could also use whocrashed to find any minidump in plain text .
Will try that soon, but I think I need to go with 2 Sticks, 4 GB wouldn't be enough to play a game for a few hours to try it out.
All of those dumps relating to the GPU/GPU drivers:
Unfortunately, I've got'n any dump when it crashed. Those dumps are from the Hardware Error I've seen on the windows reliability monitor.
ZzSwq85.png
This one was after I've reinstalled Windows, where my PC crashed and DRAM & CPU Debug LED's flashing alternately. (With drivers installed only by windows, GPU driver date was 16.12.2021)
wgwoeL4.png

And this one was a short freeze (Hardware Error) while playing. (There I've installed every driver manually AMD Chipset, AMD GPU Driver for Enterprise, LAN Driver and Audio driver)
vfiEl9Y.png

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
this screenshots are all related to gpu driver so try to use it without maker ones only generic from os and yes you could us a dual channel for test i would suggest to do gpu-z rendering test and check with hwinfo for the voltages fans speed and temp of the gpu in same time after test check if your system have all latest driver even chiset one for cpu and the gpu you might need to ask ram if error still on for video .

Mar 30, 2022
Okay, now I'm confused to the max. I visited my father a week ago & swapped graphics cards with my brother. He has a GTX 980, so far neither he nor I had any problems. Playing the same game & on the same quality, where it always happened to me. The only (big) difference, he has Windows 10 & a 24" Full HD monitor, I have Windows 11 and a UWQHD (3440x1440) monitor. Both 16 GB Ram, he has a Ryzen 5 3600. Meanwhile, I really don't understand anything anymore, any ideas?