[SOLVED] PC freezing every few hours (without a dedicated GPU installed)

alanjames82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2016
Hi,

my system is as follows:

i7 8700k (not overclocked)
2 sticks 8gb ddr4 Corsair vengeance LPX (rated for 2666mhz but not running in XMP)
Asus Z370 Gaming-F Motherboard (latest bios)
512GB Samsung M.2 NVME 960 PRO SSD
2TB Seagate ST2000DM006 HDD
Corsair RMX650 CP-9020091-UK PSU
no gpu
running Win 11

The PC did have a 1080ti but i sold it when i was short on cash and put in an old HD7970. I believed the 7970 could handle some of the games i was playing with the in-game settings lowered (World of Tanks, Hearthstone, Divinity OS 2) but it died when i tried PUBG :D

before the 7970 died i reinstalled windows 10, fresh, because i wanted to change the hard drives from MBR to GPT format (both in readiness for Win 11 and because i mistakenly set them to MBR last time i installed windows) and since then, as the title suggests, the PC freezes every few hours.
It freezes then regains full function after about 4 seconds.
I have tried reinstalling windows 10 from newly created bootable usb but that didnt solve the problem. Then i created install media for windows 11 and installed that from usb. i didnt expect that to do anything and that was the case.
i havent played any game on the PC since losing the GPU and switching to integrated graphics apart from Hearthstone
there is no error log in the reliability history after the freezes
i've run a memtest in windows and scanned the health of the hard drives which, both of which appear fine.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Such as of there are any other tests or stress tests i can run to isolate the problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

my system is as follows:

2 sticks 8gb ddr4 Corsair vengeance LPX (rated for 2666mhz but not running in XMP)
no gpu
running Win 11

The PC did have a 1080ti but i sold it when i was short on cash and put in an old HD7970. I believed the 7970 could handle some of the games i was playing with the in-game settings lowered (World of Tanks, Hearthstone, Divinity OS 2) but it died when i tried PUBG :D

before the 7970 died i reinstalled windows 10, fresh, because i wanted to change the hard drives from MBR to GPT format (both in readiness for Win 11 and because i...
Hi,

my system is as follows:

no gpu
running Win 11

before the 7970 died i reinstalled windows 10, fresh, because i wanted to change the hard drives from MBR to GPT format (both in readiness for Win 11 and because i mistakenly set them to MBR last time i installed windows) and since then, as the title suggests, the PC freezes every few hours.
It freezes then regains full function after about 4 seconds.
I have tried reinstalling windows 10 from newly created bootable usb but that didnt solve the problem. Then i created install media for windows 11 and installed that from usb. i didnt expect that to do anything and that was the case.
i havent played any game on the PC since losing the GPU and switching to integrated graphics apart from Hearthstone
there is no error log in the reliability history after the freezes
i've run a memtest in windows and scanned the health of the hard drives which, both of which appear fine.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Such as of there are any other tests or stress tests i can run to isolate the problem?

Thanks
so for now your windows 10 is on a GPT drive, correct? try to update the bios to the latest, load optimized and disable csm.

Solution

alanjames82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2016
hi,

the drive is gpt but only after starting the thread have i have swapped back to windows 10 - as i wanted to try and disable firmware tpm because freezing didnt start until this was enabled (prior to upgrading to win 11)
the bios is already the latest as i stated in my initial post
can you explain to me what disabling csm means and what its significance is?
also i can no longer revert to discreet TPM which is an optimized default

Last edited:
hi,

the drive is gpt but only after starting the thread have i have swapped back to windows 10 - as i wanted to try and disable firmware tpm because freezing didnt start until this was enabled (prior to upgrading to win 11)
the bios is already the latest as i stated in my initial post
can you explain to me what disabling csm means and what its significance is?
also i can no longer revert to discreet TPM which is an optimized default
Disabling CSM means your bios is running at Full/Pure UEFI. with CSM, Legacy/non UEFI Configurarion is also loaded in. Try to disable intel PTT (firmware tpm) and uninstall secure boot keys, save and exit, then update the bios to the latest again, load optimized, disable csm, enable intel PTT, save and reboot, go to bios again, and install secure boot keys.

alanjames82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2016
the bios will no longer allow me to disable firmware tpm/revert to discreet tpm. once i save and exit it reboots, tries to start, then reboots again and if i go to bios firmware tpm is still enabled.
i've disabled csm though

TRENDING THREADS