Question Pc freezing for 5 seconds during gameplay, how do I find out the issue?

Apr 10, 2019
I bought a new pc like a month ago, and I am using it to play a game called smite, which is not gpu or cpu intensive at all. What I realized is that the screen will freeze at random occasions for about 4 to 8 seconds. During that time, there is no sound, the screen is completely frozen (FPS drops to zero). What I know thus far is that the gpu usage drops to zero during those situations (using the windows ctrl alt del tool to monitor memory, cpu, gpu and network usage), but everything else seems to be doing fine. I have also checked the gpu and cpu temps and they are very low (around 58 degrees celsius max), so my system is not overheating.

Those freezes happen somewhat rarely, I have not identified a pattern. Sometimes they happen right after I start playing, sometimes they dont happen at all for a couple hours. Sometimes they happen twice within 15 minutes or so. No program crashes after the freeze, the game just resumes 4 to 8 seconds later, as if I had kept doing whatever I was doing during that time (so if I was moving foward, the game resumes and I am 4 to 8 seconds further of walk further in my path). I have managed to record a momment when the issue occurs, in the video below:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaTcsGQD16w

My pc specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.9GHz
  • Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060 Dual Fan OC 6GB GDDR6
  • Biostar A320MH DDR4 AMD AM4
  • DDR4 XPG Dazzle Red LED 8GB 2400Mhz
  • PCYES Electro V2 600W 80 Plus White
  • SSD Kingston 240GB Sata III

My trouble is, I dont know what to do to find the issue or how to fix it. I have removed all nvidis drivers using DDU, and reinstalled all newest drivers. I searched the smite game forums and I have tried some stuff they suggested there as well, but nothing solved the problem. I dont even know if thats a problem pertaining to the game itself or to my system. I have also checked the windows event viewer and I dont think there is anything abnormal there. Also cheked the game logs and there seem to be no issues.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019
Yeah I tried switching from the 64 bit to the 32 bit client and that didnt help. I guess I will try playing other games for a few hours to see if the same problem happens. The thing is, the problem is so random, I have to play a lot of hours to be sure the issue does not arise in any other game.

Apr 10, 2019
Today I realized the disk usage always goes to 100% during this periods as well. Thats very weird, consering the disk usage is usually very low during game play.

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
That is pretty strange. Are you running a RAID array in your computer? The Intel RAID controller in my old motherboard would sometime do a scan of the array for issues which would utilize most of the disk at the most inopportune times. Also, how much RAM does your rig have?

Apr 10, 2019
So yeah, I formated my SSD and reinstalled windows (made sure to disable cortana) and never had any more freezes. So if anyone's some a similar issue, try formating and installing windows with cortana disabled. If anyone might close this thread, that would be cool, thanks.